Morrow City Manager
This is a high-level executive management position that is responsible for directing and supervising the operations of the City of Morrow. Work involves managing and supervising all departments of the City to achieve goals using available resources. Some responsibilities include preparing the annual budget, providing leadership and direction in the development of short and long range plans, advising the Mayor and City Council of financial conditions, current and future needs of the City, and monitoring and ensuring compliance with state/federal regulations.
The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position.
- Manages activities of City departments by assigning priorities and objectives to department heads and professional staff; reviews/approves management reports regarding department and administrative activities.
- Ensures that all City operations are performed within available resources.
- Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long range plans; gathers, interprets and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations for decision-making purposes.
- Provides professional advice to the Mayor and City Council and direction to department heads.
- Communicates official plans, policies, and procedures to staff and the general public.
- Prepares and administers annual City budget; monitors revenues and expenditures by assigned areas to ensure that City operations are performed within budget and to ensure sound fiscal control.
- Advises the Mayor and City Council of financial conditions and of current and future City needs.
- Prepares a variety of studies, reports, and related information for decision-making purposes.
- Assures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time.
- Determines work procedures, evaluates workflow and process, and expedites workflow; studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Ensures that all operations are performed according to City policies, procedures, and ordinances as well as according to Federal, State, and local laws.
- Tracks legislative issues and ensures that the City stays abreast of and in compliance with new Laws.
- Attends all City Council meetings, local, regional, and state meetings regarding policies and issues that impact the City.
- Serves as liaison to City Boards and communicates directives and addresses issues of City Council.
- Performs other related duties as assigned, necessary or required.
Knowledge/Skills Required for this Position:
- Modern policies and practices of municipal government.
- The principles and practices of public human resources management.
- Personnel management practices.
- The techniques used in the grant application process.
- Governmental accounting principles and audit procedures.
- City codes, ordinances, resolutions, policies, and guidelines regarding City organization and operations.
- Budget preparation and finance.
- The function, organization, activities of the city and operations of all city departments.
- The city’s demographic and economic profile, including its industrial base.
- The principles and practices of effective public relations.
- State and Federal laws in all areas applicable to city government, including
unemployment, wages and hour, EEOC, taxes, workers’ compensation, pensions, and others.
- Ability to develop short and long range plans.
- Ability to establish priorities and organize work.
- Skill and ability in management and supervision.
- Skill and ability in oral and written communication.
- Skill and ability in preparing and administering municipal budgets.
- Skilled in planning, organizing, staffing, and directing the efficient and effective deliver of City services, programs and functions through subordinate staff.
- Skilled in providing responsive advice and staff support to the Mayor and Council.
- Skilled in preparing and analyzing comprehensive reports.
- Skilled in establishing priorities and directing the allocation of City resources.
- Skilled in communicating clearly and concisely, effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, City officials and the public.
- Skilled in efficiently and effectively administering a municipal government.
Must be able to perform all essential duties.
Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Must have an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report (3 years).
A Masters Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration (or related) required with three (3) to five (5) years of experience in local government; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position.
Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three (3) to five (5) years of related experience.
The City Manager shall be appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the City Council. Such person shall be selected solely on the basis of executive and administrative qualifications with special reference to knowledge of and actual experience with. municipal management. The City Manager need not be a resident.
Please email resume to Jlampl@cityofmorrow.com