General Nature of Work
This position supports the city’s communication goals through a focus on website and social media management. The Communication Specialist is responsible for delivering information by developing content, maintaining, monitoring, and optimizing social media channels on a daily basis and additionally, supporting the Communications and Engagement Manager with media relations, external and internal communication, and marketing activities.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Work collaboratively to achieve strategic communication goals. Develop and communicate digital content strategy and associated tactics that support these goals.
- Manage the city's digital presence ensuring consistency of appearance, functionality, security, and conformance to policies and style guidelines.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other departments, agencies, and the public to facilitate and improve communications capabilities. Respond to requests and inquiries from city staff and the general public.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of website, social media, and electronic sign enhancements and upgrades.
- Manage a social media hub including all city platforms and media that creates a feed of all outgoing messages and will provide a method of more effectively monitoring and sharing content.
- Assist with monitoring and evaluating city social media accounts. Ensure a consistent brand and voice is used across social media channels. Create and post compelling social media content that engages followers. Monitor social media traffic and respond with appropriate consultation from city departments.
- Provide photography support for events and activities and assist in the maintenance of the city photo archive.
- Promotes and implement marketing initiatives for the City of Kennesaw; analyzes current marketing strategies, including e-commerce and website development; develops proactive responses to make necessary adjustment; reviews market analysis to determine audience needs; coordinates advertising campaigns.
- Assist with content management on city's websites. Ensure all portals and web pages follow website policies and guidelines. Write and design original content and assist and advise internal customers with their web content as needed.
- Develop standards, systems, processes, policies and best practices for content creation, distribution and management. Maintain open communications with stakeholders.
- Stay abreast of digital industry trends and emerging technology. Monitor other municipal and governmental projects and sites to stay current with digital presence, open data, and service delivery innovations and approaches.
- Train staff on the use of content management system for simple content updates. Ensure conformance to strategic communication objectives.
- Plan, develop and implement various web features that meet the needs and interests of the city's communication and organizational goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Functions: Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills; proficient English language skills, including spelling, punctuation, grammar, construction and usage.
Experience working in a public sector setting is preferred; skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with elected officials, co-workers, the general public, and community leaders.
Ability to work both independently and in a team in a fast-paced environment.
Working knowledge of public relations principles; ability to prepare clear, concise and accurate multi-media presentations; experience updating websites and social media and the ability and willingness to stay current with trends.
Work experience demonstrating flexibility and excellent organizational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, respond to requests for information in a timely and customer service-oriented manner, and understand and adhere to city policies and procedures.
Ability to multi-task in a high energy environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree with major coursework in communications, public relations, or related field; three years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, demonstrable skills and experience.
- Experience managing and using websites, content management systems, intranet sites, social media sites, and digital media technologies.
- Proficiency in use and potential of web-based and social media platforms, including writing/editing text for web. Ability to use software or applications to create web, photo, and video content.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel as well as Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and other Adobe Creative Suite products; must be adaptable to other software solutions.
ADA Requirements: Individuals applying for the posted position must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those needed by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee primarily works in an office environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.