Department: PUBLIC WORKS
Job Status: Full-Time
Shift: 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Details: The hiring rate for this position is $17.52 per hour
The purpose of this classification is to perform skilled, semi-skilled, and manual work involving electrical, mechanical, plumbing, HVAC, painting, roofing, and general repair/maintenance projects for City buildings, equipment, and related facilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs skilled/semi-skilled commercial craftsman-level work involving electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, and general building construction projects for City buildings, equipment, and related facilities.
- Assists in monitoring activities of inmate workers or community service workers assigned to work detail; provides training as needed; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work.
- Ensures that operation, repair, maintenance, installation, remodeling, and/or construction of buildings, equipment, and systems are in compliance with applicable laws, codes, regulations, and standards; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations.
- Responds to work orders/requests to conduct various installation, repair, or maintenance projects as assigned; calculates/estimates time and material needed to complete projects; plans work activities to minimize down time in offices or other work areas; conducts maintenance inspections of buildings, equipment, and facilities to identify necessary repairs; reports potentially hazardous or dangerous situations to supervisor; responds to emergency situations.
- Performs scheduled preventive maintenance work to ensure proper operations and regular maintenance of systems and equipment.
- Performs various tasks involving construction and carpentry projects; applies stucco and vinyl siding to walls; constructs scaffolding; demolishes/removes walls, frames new walls, and hangs/finishes sheetrock; installs insulation, windows, and doors; builds concrete forms, pours concrete, and lays brick/blocks for foundations, walls, sidewalks, driveways, or other structures; installs acoustical ceiling and tiles; installs vinyl, ceramic tile, and cove base; strips and refinishes gymnasium flooring; cuts and installs wood trim; installs, repairs, or replaces roofing, flashing, and shingles; installs, repairs, and cleans gutters; installs cabinetry; installs bathroom partitions; installs fencing; repairs and rebuilds mailboxes; applies paint, lacquer, polyurethane, sealer, bleach, filler, or stain to interior/exterior of buildings, furniture, or other surfaces; installs wallpaper.
- Performs various tasks involving electrical and mechanical maintenance/repair projects; troubleshoots electrical problems; installs/repairs light fixtures; installs electrical switches; installs electrical receptacles/outlets; replaces light bulbs, ballasts, and batteries; installs telephone and computer lines; maintains and installs computers, servers, and security cameras; runs conduit and pulls wire/cabling to appropriate locations.
- Performs various tasks involving heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) maintenance/repair projects; troubleshoots HVAC problems; services/repairs HVAC systems/units; installs hot water heaters; cleans condenser coils; replaces filters.
- Performs various tasks involving plumbing maintenance/repair projects; troubleshoots plumbing problems; installs, replaces, and services plumbing fixtures; repairs toilets/sinks; unclogs or repairs drains and sewer lines; maintains or repairs swimming pool pumps/motors; replaces plumbing components; replaces broken pipes or pipelines; replaces seals/gaskets; installs and repairs ice maker.
- Performs various tasks involving grounds maintenance or general landscaping projects; plants and maintains trees, shrubs, and flowers; mows and edges landscaped areas; cuts down trees and branches; applies grass seed; rakes and disposes of leaves, grass clippings, brush, and other materials; picks up debris/litter and collects/disposes of trash; spreads grounds materials; installs and repairs City playground equipment.
- Performs general semi-skilled or manual work tasks associated with department projects; performs general equipment and building repairs; installs or removes holiday decorations; catches/removes animals in ceilings or other areas; installs/hangs nets for sports equipment; hangs artwork and signs; assembles or moves furniture and equipment; pressure-washes buildings or other surfaces; digs holes, ditches, or trenches and shovels materials; climbs ladders; lifts/moves heavy materials.
- Operates a variety of machinery, equipment, and tools associated with department projects, which may include a utility truck/vehicle, dump truck, backhoe, track loader, tractor, mower, weed eater, motors, pumps, air compressor, generator, pressure washer, sander, grinder, drill, circular saw, table saw, reciprocating saw, cutting torch, soldering iron, packer, jackhammer, vacuum cleaner, shovel, pick, level, ladder, gauges, meters, measuring devices, roofing tools, carpentry tools, plumbing tools, electrician tools, painting tools, mechanic tools, pneumatic tools, power tools, hand tools, copy machine, telephone, or two-way radio.
- Inspects/tests machinery, equipment, and parts for proper operations; makes adjustments, repairs or replacements; reports problem situations.
- Transports, loads, and unloads various equipment and materials used in projects.
- Performs general cleaning/maintenance tasks necessary to keep equipment and tools in operable condition, which may include inspecting equipment, checking/replacing fluids, refueling vehicles, greasing equipment, washing/cleaning equipment, and cleaning shop or project work areas; monitors equipment operations to maintain efficiency and safety; reports faulty equipment.
- Monitors inventory of equipment, tools, supplies, and materials; ensures availability of adequate materials to complete projects; initiates request for new/replacement materials.
- Follows safety procedures, utilizes safety equipment, and monitors work environment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals.
- Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, drawings, service/maintenance records, or other documents.
- Receives various forms, reports, correspondence, work orders, service/maintenance records, user manuals, blueprints, schematics, drawings, diagrams, building code books, manuals, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards, or retains as appropriate.
- Communicates with supervisor, other departments, employees, contractors, utility companies, vendors/suppliers, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable codes and regulations; maintains an awareness of new methods, trends, and advances in the profession; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
- Provides assistance to other employees or departments as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent; and two (2) years of related experience that includes building construction trades, such as electrical systems, mechanical systems, HVAC systems, plumbing systems, carpentry, and general construction work, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license. May require possession and maintenance of a valid Georgia Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) including appropriate endorsement(s).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to determine, calculate, tabulate, and/or summarize data; ability to perform subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Ability to overhaul, restore, renovate, construct, and/or rebuild equipment, machinery, or objects, requiring adherence to prescribed standards and specifications; ability to operate and control the actions of the same equipment, machinery, and/or objects.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference and descriptive data and information.
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; ability to utilize principles of fractions; ability to interpret graphs.
- Ability to apply principles of rational systems; ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; ability to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
The work is heavy which requires exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound.
- Mental Acuity: Ability to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Repetitive Motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Speaking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including the ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately and concisely.
- Visual Acuity: Have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive reading.
Work may be performed with exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature and noise extremes, fumes, hazardous materials, heights, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, bright/dim light, or toxic agents.