Position: Emergency Services Director (FT) Department: Emergency Services
Annual Starting Salary: $85,000/annually - DOQ FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: December 20, 2021 Closing Date: January 31, 2021
This position is responsible for directing and overseeing all activities of Habersham County Fire Services and Emergency Medical Service. Assures all fire suppression services and emergency medical services are available to citizens 24 hours a day. Responsibilities include directing the emergency services operations (including fire and rescue), emergency medical service, and hazardous material response.
- Through subordinate officers who oversee daily operations, this position is responsible for management and supervision, development of policies and procedures, development of operating and capital budgets, representing the department at public functions, responding to emergencies, performing inspections, and providing training,
- Directs all Fire Service and Emergency Medical service activities, delegates and assigns subordinates to carry out day-to-day operations; enforces policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Develops budget recommendations; confers with staff and develops final recommendation for submission to the County Commission; oversees all purchases of equipment and apparatus.
- Recruits and makes hiring recommendations for top management positions; conducts performance evaluations on select personnel.
- Directs the preparation and analysis of department records and reports to secure efficient operations, meet service demands, and comply with requests for information regarding departmental activity and personnel.
- Ensures departmental compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, laws, regulations, and standards.
- Provides administrative direction and leadership for all emergency services functions, operations and personnel.
- Develops short- and long-term goals and strategies for the department.
- Secures, justifies, and monitors the use of budgeted operating and capital funds.
- Makes presentations to the Board of Commissioners, elected and appointed officials, civic organizations, school groups and others.
- Represents the department and the county on a variety of professional organizations and committees.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with other county departments to coordinate delivery of services, sharing of information, and coordinated responses to emergencies.
- Develops relationships with neighboring county and city governments to implement Automatic Aid or Mutual Aid agreements, to include coverage of emergency response zones, training, etc.
- Responds to emergency incidents to provide oversight and direction.
- Performs related duties.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a bachelor’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the National Fire Protection Association and the Georgia Firefighter Standards and Training Act.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the minimum level of qualifications stated above.
The successful candidate must complete a Background/Reference Check and Pre-Employment Drug Screening prior to the start of employment.
To Apply: All applicants must complete a Habersham County employment application. Applications can be found online at www.habershamga.com. Applications and a detailed job description can be picked up at the Habersham County Human Resources Department, Administration Building located at 130 Jacob’s Way, Clarkesville, GA 30523 in room 303. For more information please call (706) 839-0214.