Job Title: Assistant City Manager
Department/Div: City Manager’s Office FLSA: Exempt
Reports to: City Manager EEO-4 Code: Prof
Supervises: Date: 12/16/2021
This position assists in directing the day-to-day operations of the city government.
- Supervises and provides guidance to the Information Technology Department and the Human Resources Department.
- Meets with citizens to discuss complaints, concerns, recommendations, and other issues important to the city.
- Attends Board of Commissioners meetings and workshops.
- Attends community and various agency meetings.
- Attends a variety of community events.
- Serves as a trustee on the city’s Pension Board.
- Attends training and conferences to learn best practices and to ensure compliance with various policies and procedures on the local, state, and national levels.
- Participates in employee grievance proceedings.
- Provides assistance to the City Manager and Board with assigned projects and general inquires regarding citizen matters and city operations.
- Makes recommendations regarding the efficiency and effectiveness of existing municipal operations, policy development, and the implementation of updated industry best practices.
- Serves as City Manager in his or her absence as assigned.
- Meets with department directors regarding concerns and issues in their departments.
- Oversees, develops, and administers special projects and activities as directed by the City Manager.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of information technology principles and practices in a municipal government environment.
- Knowledge of human resources principles and practices.
- Knowledge of state and federal employment laws.
- Knowledge of municipal operations.
- Knowledge of public meetings and meeting protocols.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in identifying and solving problems.
- Skill in the supervision of personnel.
- Skill in researching information and preparing complete and accurate reports.
- Skill in multitasking.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The City Manager assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The work is reviewed through conferences, reports, and observation of departmental activities.
Guidelines include the City of Brunswick Code of Ordinances, the Human Resources Policy Manual, Robert’s Rules of Order, state and federal laws, the city charter, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied management and supervisory duties. The variety of city operations contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to assist in directing the day-to-day operations of the city government. Success in this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of city government operations and to the successful provision of services to the public.
- Contacts are typically with co‑workers, employees in all city departments, elected and appointed officials, representatives of business and civic organizations, contractors, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, motivate person, justify and settle matters, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
This position has final responsibility and authority for the work performed by more than one major area, department, or unit. The position is typically responsible for monitoring overall organizational operations, developing or approving recommendations on major policy issues for all departments, and representing the organization with elected officials and the public.
- Master’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field required.
- More than five years of related experienced required.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Contact the City of Brunswick, Sagrario Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org.