The City of Fairburn has the following position available:
Heavy Equipment Operator
STATUS: Full-time hourly non-exempt (eligible for overtime pay).
The Heavy Equipment Operator is a non-exempt hourly position responsible for performing heavy manual tasks and for the safe operation of heavy to light equipment and vehicles. Incumbent in this class is expected to perform assigned activities with general instruction. Position may assist in the training of less-experienced personnel on the operation of heavy equipment.
Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be performed.
Under general supervision:
- Operate heavy equipment such as the dump trucks, loaders, backhoes, skid steers, and other heavy equipment.
- Ensure safe operation of heavy equipment in compliance with Federal, State and other regulations.
- Perform and/or assist with the following: cut and remove trees; trim shrubbery; remove brush; operate brush chipper, and street sweeper.
- Assist in repairing of potholes; clean debris and trash from storm sewers, catch basins, and drains.
- Keep accurate daily time records, equipment and materials for work assigned.
- Perform daily safety check of equipment, ensure vehicle and equipment maintenance and cleaning, and report mechanical or other defects to supervisor.
- Report safety hazards or maintenance problems to supervisor.
- Respond to and participate in emergency calls.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
The qualifications listed below represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- High school diploma (or equivalent) and 2 to 3 years directly related experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in operating dump truck with air brakes, heavy equipment, such as excavator, skid steer loaders, backhoe, etc.
- Possession of a valid State of Georgia Driver’s License.
- Satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
- Possession of a Georgia Department of Transportation Flagging Certificate or ability to obtain within 12 months.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must possess the ability to handle problems and deviations in the work assignment in accordance with instructions, policies, previous training, or accepted practices in the job.
- Must possess the ability to obtain, clarify, or give information regardless of the nature of the information, i.e. the data may range from easily understood to highly technical.
- Must possess knowledge of heavy trucks, both gas and diesel trucks, and heavy equipment.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions; keep accurate records; use a variety of tools and equipment; perform heavy manual labor; perform skilled, unskilled and semi-skilled task in a variety of construction and maintenance activities; operate vehicles, equipment and stationary mechanical equipment; respond to emergency and problem situations in an effective manner; communicate effectively with a variety of personnel and establish/maintain effective working relationships; apply policies and procedures; work independently; work safely; read and interpret basic maps.
- The work is typically performed with the employee standing, walking, bending, reaching, crouching, stooping or climbing. The employee must frequently lift objects weighing between twenty-five (25) and up to seventy-five (75) pounds.
- The incumbent will work in an environment involving high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress that require a range of safety and other precautions. The work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, reflective vests and/or other protective devices.
To apply for this position, please go to our website www.fairburn.com. Should you have any questions contact Abril Montano in the HR Department 770 964-2244 x111.
This position will close on 06/30/2022