The City of Fairburn has the following position available:
Street Maintenance Worker I
REPORTS TO: Director, Street/Maintenance & Shop
The Street Maintenance Worker I is a non-exempt hourly entry-level position responsible for constructing and maintaining street-related infrastructure in the City. Incumbent in this class generally performs work as a member of a team of employees carrying out day-to-day maintenance of City facilities and grounds; using appropriate tools and equipment commensurate with the difficulty or magnitude of assigned tasks. Incumbent must maintain professionalism and courtesy while exposed to stressful situations associated with Building and Property Management operations.
Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be performed.
Under general supervision:
- Operates various equipment such as a loader, backhoe, saws and concrete grinders, floats, air compressors, pumps, pneumatic tools, wood chippers, bush-hog and tractors and a variety of other hand tools.
- Provides temporary traffic control during work zone construction activities.
- Participates in the installation of traffic signs.
- Uses specialized tools including hydraulically-operated equipment.
- Operates lawn-care tools and equipment, such as mowers, weed trimmers, and leaf-blowers.
- Places and grades asphalt.
- Installs and repairs fences, guard rails, and barricades.
- Flushes, builds, and repairs storm drains, catch-basins, manholes, laterals, and drainage ditches.
- Troubleshoots, services, and makes minor repairs to trucks and equipment.
- Polices, loads and unloads trash, and assists in other work required to maintain cleanliness of the City.
- Refers complaints to superior.
- Maintains daily records of activities.
- Represents the City to the general public.
- Performs general heavy physical labor with non-mechanized hand tools.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED;
- Holds or can obtain a flagging certification for traffic control;
- General experience in street maintenance activities of at least 2 years.
- Possess a valid Georgia driver’s license and satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of activities of street maintenance, reconstruction, restoration, paving, sealing, storm installation, manholes and other drains system maintenance, and other City infrastructure maintenance.
- Knowledge of planting seeds, bulbs, foliage, trees, shrubs, flowers, ground covering and applying mulch.
- Knowledge of use of maintenance tools and equipment.
- Skill in lawn mowing, trimming, edging, mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing and thatch removal functions.
- Skill in use of operating hand and power tools, vehicles, and related light & medium duty equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Skill in mixing, spraying, spreading fertilizers, herbicides and insecticides onto grass, shrubs, and trees, using handheld and automatic sprayers, spreaders.
- Skill to perform routine arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to operate a loader, backhoe, saw, concrete grinder, floats, air compressor, pump, pneumatic tools, woodchipper, bush-hog, tractor and variety of hand tools.
- Ability to use specialized tools including hydraulically-operated equipment.
- Ability to operate heavy maintenance and construction equipment.
- Ability to places and grades asphalt.
- Ability to installs and repairs fences, guard rails, and barricades.
- Ability to flush, builds, and repairs storm drains, catch-basins, manholes, laterals, and drainage ditches.
- Ability to troubleshoot and makes minor repairs to trucks and equipment.
- Ability to load and unload trash and assist in work required to maintain the clean condition of the City.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise sound and effective judgment within established policy and guidelines.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to use protective clothing and equipment such as masks, coats, vests, hard hats, boots, goggles, gloves, reflective vest and other safety devices.
- The work is typically performed with the employee standing, walking, bending, reaching, crouching, stooping or climbing. The employee must frequently lift objects weighing between twenty-five (25) and up to seventy-five (75) pounds.
The work is typically performed outside in extreme temperatures for extended periods of time. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and irritating chemicals. The work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, reflective vests and/or other protective devices.
To apply for this position, please go to our website www.fairburn.com. Should you have any questions contact Abril Montano in the HR Department 770 964-2244 x111.
This position will close on 06/30/2022