The City of Fairburn has the following position available:
Utilities Maintenance Worker I (Water/Sewer/Storm Water)
SCHEDULE: Normal operation hours are Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm, with evening and weekend during emergency circumstances.
The Utility Maintenance Worker I (Water/Sewer/Storm Water) is responsible for maintaining the water and sewer system in the City of Fairburn, with the primary focus on providing superior customer service to the citizens and customers of the City in handling a variety of issues. Incumbents in this classification must maintain professionalism and courtesy when exposed to stressful situations and may be assigned to answer telephone calls and perform functions associated with utility and public works operations.
Under direct supervision:
- Handles all routine and emergency maintenance on the water, sewer & storm water systems within the city in a timely manner.
- Ensures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after each use.
- Meets with homeowners to identify and resolve water, sewer and/or storm water problems.
- Meets with contractors to discuss placement of water meters, fire hydrants, etc.
- Assists with maintaining water department inventory.
- Works with fire department, as necessary, to help maintain fire hydrants.
- Performs routine inspections and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Performs all locates GAUPC that are water sewer and/or storm water related.
- Participates in revolving “on call” schedule.
- Assists in maintaining records relating to inspection, maintenance activity, and repair of the Storm Water system.
- Repairs various portions of the water, sewer and storm water system at frequent intervals, and ensures that all aspects of the system are functioning properly.
- Operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in the Water, Sewer and Storm Water Utility.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED.
- One (1) to three (3) years of maintenance work. (Utility Maintenance experience, preferred).
- Possess a valid Georgia driver’s license and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of water, sewer, stormwater systems.
- Ability to take initiative on the job.
- Ability to accept instruction, direction and constructive criticism.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English in person, over the telephone and public address system, and in written correspondence.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity, tact, and excellent customer service while interacting with others.
- Ability to learn to operate personal computer hardware and software and a variety of office and document reproduction equipment.
- Skill in understanding and following oral and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise sound and effective judgment within established guidelines.
- Skill in organizing, coordinating, and completing duties to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Ability to perform routine arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals.
- Skill in develop and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, customers and those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
To apply for this position, please go to our website www.fairburn.com. Should you have any questions contact Abril Montano in the HR Department 770 964-2244 x111.
This position will close on 06/30/2022