This position participates in the repair and maintenance of city streets and related infrastructure.
Essential Job Duties
- Assists in a variety of street and infrastructure construction, maintenance, and repair duties; repairs and replaces sidewalks, clears rights-of-way, repairs potholes, etc.
- Replaces and repairs street signs.
- Cleans storm drains.
- Operates a variety of hand and power tools, including chain saw, weed eater, blower, shovel, rake, limb saw, etc.
- Assists in traffic control at work sites.
- Responds to after-hours emergencies.
- Performs pre- and post-trip vehicle and equipment inspections; preforms preventive maintenance.
- Performs related duties.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of street construction and maintenance principles.
- Knowledge of work safety principles and practices.
- Knowledge of street maintenance equipment operation and maintenance principles.
- Skill in the use of construction equipment.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
The Public Works Operation Manager assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of related maintenance duties. Extreme heat, inclement weather, and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to participate in the maintenance and repair of city streets and related infrastructure. Successful performance contributes to safe and well-maintained infrastructure.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to resolve problems and provide services.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is performed outdoors, occasionally in extreme heat, cold, or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Applications must be submitted online at: www.acworth.org
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *