This position is responsible for assisting with the city’s community development operations, including planning, zoning, and code compliance functions.
- Provides support for department personnel in the resolution of job-related problems and issues.
- Performs the duties of the Community Development Director in his or her absence.
- Assists in preparing and administering the city’s comprehensive plan.
- Assists with planning and zoning functions determines area classification, subdivision zoning, and regulations; assists in preparing and/or revising zoning ordinances and zoning maps; coordinates Planning Commission and Historic Preservation Commission functions; represents the city at meetings and hearings; provides technical assistance to officials; coordinates permitting processes; assists in the preparation of annexations.
- Provides guidance and support to the Planning Commission and the Historic Preservation Commission.
- Reviews development plans for compliance with adopted codes and ordinances.
- Issues and renews occupational tax registrations.
- Identifies grant opportunities and coordinates related processes.
- Prepares a variety of regular and special reports, including recommendations related to community planning, development, and zoning issues.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of municipal planning principles and practices.
- Knowledge of the laws, legislation, codes, and ordinances that govern the work.
- Knowledge of GIS principles and practices.
- Knowledge of personnel management principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in organizing and directing the work of staff.
- Skill in the preparation of complex reports.
- Skill in the management of personnel.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Community Development Director assigns work in terms of department goals and directives. The supervisor reviews work through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities.
Guidelines include city code and ordinances, the city comprehensive plan, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application. This position develops department guidelines as well as make recommendation for city code and ordinance amendments.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of various management, planning, and supervisory duties. The variety of duties to be performed contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to assist in the city’s community development operations. Success in this position contributes to the positive and well-planned growth and development of the city.
- Contacts are typically with elected and appointed officials, co-workers, other city personnel, representatives of state and federal agencies, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to motivate persons, to justify or settle matters, or to resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
This position has direct supervision over assigned personnel within an area, department, or unit. Direct supervision typically involves the ability to manage schedules, performance, and the interpersonal issues of other employees. It may involve the ability to recommend changes to work priorities or strategies within an area, department, or unit.
- Baccalaureate degree in urban/city planning, public administration or related major required; and
- More than three years of related experience required; or
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the work.
- Possession of a valid state driver’s license issued for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.