Department: PUBLIC WORKS
Job Status: Full-Time
Shift: 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
The purpose of this classification is to perform semi-skilled or unskilled work associated with projects and activities within an assigned department/division of the City.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs manual work within an assigned department, which may involve grounds maintenance, parks maintenance, street maintenance, sanitation services, building maintenance, or other projects within the assigned department; assists equipment operators, skilled-trade employees, or other workers as needed.
- Performs various tasks involving roadside maintenance, grounds maintenance, or landscaping projects; mows grass; edges roadways, landscaped areas, driveways, sidewalks, and fence lines; plants and maintains trees, shrubs, and flowers; weeds flower beds; cuts down trees; prunes tree limbs, hedges, and shrubs; picks up and disposes of tree limbs, brush, and other materials from right-of-way areas; spreads pine straw, mulch, and other grounds materials; tills or aerates dirt/soil; moves dirt and grades land; cuts, lays, or installs sod; applies fertilizer and herbicide; rakes ground materials; blows leaves/debris from walkways or grounds; picks up and disposes of debris/litter from roadsides and ground areas; empties trash containers; digs holes/trenches and shovels materials.
- Performs various tasks involving maintenance of parks, athletic fields, and recreational facilities; cleans and maintains athletic fields; drags ball fields; applies lines and markings to athletic fields; cleans and mops gymnasium floors; cleans swimming pools and prepares swimming pool for seasonal opening; assists with setup/breakdown for special events and activities.
- Performs various tasks involving street maintenance or right-of-way maintenance projects; lays bricks and concrete block; builds concrete forms for sidewalks and curbing; pours concrete; sweeps street surfaces; prepares road surfaces for asphalt application; lays and smoothes asphalt; patches/repairs potholes in road surfaces; constructs asphalt driveway tie-ins; installs guardrails; installs and maintains signs.
- Performs various tasks associated with sanitation/solid waste projects/activities; empties trash containers and dumpsters from residential sites or other locations into garbage trucks; picks up debris such as tree limbs, brush, pine straw, leaves, grass/yard clippings, furniture, appliances, dead animals, and loads debris into garbage trucks; rakes, sweeps, shovels, and cleans ground around trash disposal areas and picks up remaining materials; covers leaves/debris with tarps; closes doors of containers; opens/closes fences surrounding dumpsters; cleans interior and exterior of trucks; lifts/moves heavy materials.
- Performs various tasks involving building maintenance projects; cleans buildings, sheds, restrooms, or other facilities; paints interior/exterior surfaces and equipment; performs light masonry work; replaces batteries, light bulbs, and ballasts; repairs/replaces building fixtures or door locks; assembles furniture or equipment; pressure-washes building surfaces; lifts/moves equipment and heavy materials.
- Operates a variety of machinery, equipment, and tools associated with department projects, which may include a backhoe, trackhoe, forklift, tractor, mower, edger, weed eater, chipper, chain saw, drill press, air compressor, leaf blower, tiller, sod cutter, asphalt loop, paint/marking machine, pick axe, sledgehammer, pitchfork, rake, post hole digger, shovel, broom, hand tools, or two-way radio.
- Performs general cleaning/maintenance tasks necessary to keep equipment and tools in operable condition, which may include inspecting equipment, checking/replacing fluids, refueling vehicles, performing minor equipment repairs, greasing equipment, sharpening blades, changing tires, replacing parts, washing/cleaning equipment, or cleaning shop or work areas; monitors equipment operations to maintain efficiency and safety; reports faulty equipment.
- Gathers equipment, tools, supplies, and materials needed to conduct work activities; initiates requests for new or replacement materials as required.
- Follows established safety procedures, utilizes safety equipment, and monitors work environment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals; assists truck drivers, equipment operators, or other workers in monitoring traffic conditions surrounding trucks/equipment to identify obstructions, pedestrians, or unsafe traffic conditions; reports any incidents, accidents, problems, or unusual situations.
- Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, time cards, daily work sheets, or other documents.
- Receives various forms, reports, correspondence, schedules, activity calendars, event sheets, diagrams, blueprints, policies, procedures, regulations, manuals, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards, or retains as appropriate.
- Communicates with supervisor, other departments, employees, inmate workers, community service workers, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Provides assistance to other employees or departments as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Operation of motor vehicles requires possession and maintenance of a valid Georgia driver’s license. Operation of forklift requires possession and maintenance of valid Forklift Operator certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to compile, assemble, copy, record, and/or transcribe data according to a prescribed schema or plan; ability to judge whether readily observable functional, structural, or compositional characteristics are similar to or divergent from prescribed standards, procedures, or routines.
- Ability to exchange information for the purpose of clarifying details within well established policies, procedures, and standards.
- Ability to operate, maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Ability to utilize a variety of reference data and information.
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; may include ability to count, record counts, and perform basic measuring.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form, including semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in situations involving a variety of generally pre-defined duties which are often characterized by frequent change.
The work is heavy which requires exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound.
- Mental Acuity: Ability to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Repetitive Motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Speaking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including the ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately and concisely.
- Visual Acuity: Have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive reading.
Work may be performed with exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature and noise extremes, fumes, heights, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, bright/dim light, toxic agents, disease, pathogenic substances, or animal attacks/bites.