The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Court Clerk.
The purpose of this classification is to provide clerical support to the Municipal Court. Work involves assisting the general public in person and over the phone; receiving, indexing and recording court case information and /or legal documents; entering and updating data into department databases; and providing copies of official court and/or legal documents to the public, courts, litigants, attorneys and other appropriate parties.
Essential Job Functions:
• Receives, dates and stamps court related and/or legal documents such as citation reports, blood test results, traffic tickets, accident reports and docket reports.
• Reviews, verifies and/or records required information.
• Enters citations, tickets and other information into department databases; updates database information.
• Creates new spreadsheets/files; purges old data as appropriate.
• Makes copies and distributes to appropriate parties; maintains copies in department manual files.
• Records disposition of cases identified by docket reports.
• Prepares and posts court dockets; assigns court date for warrant cases; and files with court.
• Prepares case file and/or issues related legal documents.
• Attends court and assists judge as requested.
• Prepares and types various letters, reports, summaries and correspondence.
• Maintains files of department correspondence, program records, legal documents; photocopy documents and distributes and/or files.
• Requests information from other departments as necessary to complete department records/files.
• Pulls old case files for judge upon request.
• Collects and receipts payment for fees, fines and warrants.
• Registers individuals for traffic school.
• Prepares attendance records classes; updates records upon completion.
• Answers inquiries from the public by phone or in person; acts as notary public for the department and the public.
• Receives, dates and distributes incoming mail. Prepares outgoing mail.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
• High school diploma or GED;
• One (1) year of clerical and/or customer service experience;
• Or equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of standard policies, procedures, programs and services in municipal government.
• Knowledge of state laws, practices and procedures relating to public records and public meetings in local government.
• Knowledge of business English and math.
• Knowledge of modern office practices, equipment, methods and procedures.
• Ability to understand and carry out complex verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with employees and the general public.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with officials, employees, state and federal authorities, civic leaders and the public.
• Skill in managing competing priorities on multiple projects.
• Knowledge of personal computers and computer software applications.
• Ability to comprehend, interpret and explain adopted codes, ordinances and policies that relate to City operations and programs.
• Ability to research and analyze detailed information, records and statistical data.
• Ability to prepare clear, concise and accurate documents.
• Ability to manage stressful situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is occasionally required to walk.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
• Ability to work in a standard office environment with some exposure to the outdoors; ability to travel to different sites and locations; attend evening meetings; work under pressure and potentially stressful situations.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.p >