Under general supervision of the City Administrator, assists with the daily operation of city government activities and support services. Patrols the city to identify instances of code non-compliance. Communicates with and educates members of the public regarding code compliance. Inspects city property and facilities to ensure safety. Represents the city in a positive and courteous manner. Maintains accurate city records.
Action Orientation: Able to persist and finish projects despite obstacles, or redirect when necessary; able to follow instructions, or take action and address opportunities with little supervision; able to take extra steps to prevent mistakes or create opportunities.
Information Seeking: Able to gather information and differentiate essential from non-essential information; able to identify key sources and ask relevant probing questions; able to systematically obtain data through research.
Listening, Understanding & Responding: Able to use active listening skills or attend to non-verbal cues to better understand others’ perspectives, behaviors, or motivations; able to empathize with others’ needs and respond sensitively; able to use good judgment regarding the content, timing and best method of communication when responding, and respond to objectives successfully.
Customer Focus: Able to communicate courteously and proactively; able to efficiently learn citizens’ short- and long-term needs, see issues from a citizen’s position as well as from the city’s perspective.
Relationship Management: Able to build rapport and trust with citizens, vendors and other city associates and to maintain those relationships with integrity and professionalism.
Personal Leadership: Able to fulfill commitments; able to share knowledge and insight in an efficient and effective manner; able to accept change and help others adapt, able to adapt to external factors, and organize internal systems.
Flexibility: Able to adapt behavior; opinions, tactics, and strategies to different situations, individuals, or changing priorities.
Coaching: Able to provide instructions, suggestions, or demonstrations, and ensure that compliance requirements are clear; able to provide clear and specific feedback; able to deal effectively, efficiently, constructively and properly with citizens regarding ordinance violations.
Personal Development: Able to accurately assess own performance and take responsibility for self-development; able to generate and implement short- or long-term self-development plans.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Maintains vigilance and actively patrols city in an effort to detect and discourage criminal activity and protect the citizenry. Provides a significant amount of patrolling visibility to the general public in order to demonstrate that patrolling is active and frequent.
- Actively patrols all areas of the city in search of instances of ordinance violations, including but not limited to dead trees, illegal tree removal, lapses in property maintenance, non-permitted building activity, soil erosion and sedimentation, illegal signs, unlicensed commercial door-to-door solicitation, businesses operating without an occupation tax certificate or other required business license, solid waste/yard waste/recycling bin issues, right-of-way parking violations and zoning ordinance violations.
- Inspects land development activities and active construction sites to ensure compliance with approved development plans and Erosion Sedimentation and Pollution Control (ES&PC) Plan, or, where applicable, best management practices to prevent soil erosion and sedimentation.
- Actively patrols city to detect deficiencies with city infrastructure including but not limited to street surfaces, road signs, rights of way, the Lake Berkeley dam, green spaces, stormwater facilities and city hall and park and seeks to resolve deficiencies.
- Reviews city records to determine which businesses have valid occupation tax certificates or other types of licenses.
- Reviews city records to determine which property owners are not in compliance with septic system maintenance and inspection requirements.
- Performs inspections on a regular periodic basis of the Lake Berkeley dam and parking lot, city playground, green space, and Henderson Nature Sanctuary.
- Assists staff with applications for tree removal permits by reviewing application for accuracy and verifying compliance with tree density requirements and other aspects of the tree ordinance.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the Berkeley Lake Code of Ordinances and any amendments thereto.
- Through active patrolling, inspection, review of city records and in response to external notices, identifies situations where ordinance violations, infrastructure deficiencies and criminal activity have occurred or are occurring and responds in an appropriate manner to verify and ameliorate the situation.
- Evaluates complaints made by members of the public to determine validity and need for action.
- In concert with city staff and as prescribed within the Berkeley Lake Code of Ordinances, issues stop work orders, notices of violation and citiations to individuals and businesses that are in violation of city ordinances.
- In concert with city staff, identifies the responsible party or agency and notifies that agency of deficiencies in infrastructure or situations that may prove to be dangerous to the public or employees.
- Prepares and delivers testimony in municipal court proceedings involving violations of city ordinances.
- Prepares and presents reports of ordinance enforcement activities.
- Prepares and presents reports of erosion control inspections and associated enforcement activities.
- Provides appropriate feedback to internal and external individuals regarding requests for action.
- With a sense of urgency, monitors situations about which communication has been proffered for resolution and follows up with appropriate parties if situation remains unresolved.
- Reviews Code of Ordinances to determine appropriate ordinance under which to issue citations; issues citations in response to unresolved or unresolvable city code violations.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule which will likely include weekdays, nights and weekends
- Must be able to hear within the normal audible range (200 to 800 Hz) with or without correction
- Must have 20/20 vision with or without correction and be able to distinguish between shades of color
- Must have the ability to perceive and discriminate odors
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be eligible to be a sworn city official with ability to issue city citations
- Must be authorized to work legally within the United States
- Must possess a valid Georgia Driver's License with at least a 5-year safe driving history
- Must have a minimum of 4 years of code enforcement experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Must have and maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times and in all circumstances
- Ability to engage in complex communications, both verbally and in writing, using English with impeccable grammar; must possess business writing, editing and presentation skills
- Ability to use technological resources effectively
- Ability to effectively handle a work environment and conditions which involve high levels of public contact, irregular work hours, and working closely with others
- Physical Requirements: Able to lift 50 lbs. Able to walk/hike distances of up to 2 miles over varied terrain, including steep hills and through wooded and overgrown areas. Able to operate a motor vehicle up to 7 hours per day
- Ability to work outdoors, including during inclement weather
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances related to municipal code enforcement
- One (1) year previous experience and/or training involving soil erosion and sedimentation control, construction site inspection, and construction plan interpretation
- Level 1B Erosion & Sedimentation Control Inspector Certification
- Ability to understand legal descriptions and boundary maps of real property
- Ability to interpret maps and plans and analyze technical information related to municipal code enforcement
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of inspection and roles of various agencies involved in municipal code enforcement regulatory processes
- Additional training from a recognized institution in architecture, engineering, construction or similar programs
- A degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
- Written and/or spoken fluency in a foreign language
- Certification or experience as ICC Property Maintenance & Housing Inspector
- Certification as a Code Enforcement Officer from the Georgia Association of Code Enforcemen
The occupational environment for this position is approximately 25% Office/75% Outdoor/Vehicle.
The duties listed herein are intended only as illustrations of the diverse types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is therefore subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Employment with the City of Berkeley Lake is at-will in accordance with Georgia law.
The City of Berkeley Lake is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, and does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, genetic information, handicap, sexual orientation, sexual preference, gender identity or expression, or political affiliation.