The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a GIS Manager in the IT Department.
Under general direction of the IT Director, manages, designs, documents, coordinates, plans, implements and participates in the input, update, and maintenance of data for the City’s Geographic Information System (GIS); manages project teams; identifies resources and establishes project objectives and timelines; and develops city-wide standards for GIS deployment and use.
Essential Job Functions:
• Organizes, directs, and participates in the development, management, maintenance, and utilization of the City’s GIS.
• Analyzing the feasibility of GIS application requests.
• Creates and integrates new database sources into the City’s overall GIS.
• Ensures ongoing and appropriate development of the City’s base map and associated layers.
• Designs, documents, implements, and tests the City’s GIS end user applications.
• Assists other City staff in the utilization of the GIS through training and the development of GIS interfaces and other tools.
• Establishes productive relationships among collaborating departments for GIS projects.
• Coordinates data gathering and production of all maps and related geographical data for all City departments.
• Consults with department directors and designated staff from all City departments regarding departmental GIS needs and requirements.
• Protects the integrity of the City’s GIS data and applications.
• Develops, implements, coordinates, and maintains internal technical standards for GIS resources in the City.
• Assures that data quality standards are consistently enforced.
• Participates in the development and testing of an appropriate disaster recovery plan.
• Manages the work of outside contractors in implementing GIS data for the City.
• Prepares scope of work and directing activities of consultants and vendors.
• Manages, coordinates, monitors, and evaluates the work of outside contractors in implementing GIS data for the City.
• Works with other governmental agencies to acquire and implement GIS data and applications.
• Assists in guiding City policy in relation to GIS matters.
• Develops long and short-range goals for the GIS sub-division in coordination with the City’s overall business plan.
• Develops and implements policies and procedures relating to GIS system maintenance, operations, and services.
• Assists in defining and providing GIS information needs of the public.
• Assists the IT Director in preparing the budget for GIS related activities.
• Meets and/or exceeds customer expectations with an unparalleled commitment to excellent customer service and positively promoting and enhancing the services and programs offered by the City of Brookhaven.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
• Obtains drone operator license for aerial video work.
• Maintains servers and databases.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in GIS, geography, planning, civil engineering, computer science, or a related field;
• Five years of increasingly responsible experience in the design, development, implementation and administration of a geographical information system, in particular, the ESRI product line;
• Or equivalent education, and/or experience; and
• Possession of a valid Georgia Class C driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge and understanding of cartographic principles, spatial data models, and statistics.
• Knowledge of modern principles, practices, and techniques of GIS, database and GIS software, including ArcGIS Enterprise suite.
• Knowledge of GIS design, development, analysis and maintenance.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of evaluating needs and developing information or database system solutions.
• Knowledge of basic principles of cost analysis and estimating.
• Knowledge of operational characteristics of GIS hardware and software projects.
• Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques of cartography.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of supervision, training, and motivation.
• Knowledge of mathematic principles, including algebra, geometry, and statistics.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of scheduling work assignments.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
• Knowledge of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
• Knowledge of proficiency with personal computers and Microsoft Office.
• Knowledge of excellent written and oral speaking skills.
• Ability to plan, direct, supervise, and oversee the development of geographic and statistical data.
• Ability to prepare concise, clear, and effective reports.
• Ability to conduct, coordinate, and perform the most difficult and complex GIS activities.
• Ability to understand, evaluate, and translate the needs of GIS users into effective solutions.
• Ability to conduct research, analysis, and data evaluation and make recommendations based on findings.
• Ability to train others in the uses of GIS technology.
• Ability to prepare and present GIS information for meetings and workshops.
• Ability to read and interpret maps, sketches, drawings, specifications, and technical manuals.
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is occasionally required to walk.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
• The employee may perform some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require limited local travel.
• Employee may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.