Position: Assistant Public Works Director Department: Public Works
Annual Starting Salary: $76,412 - $91,694 FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: June 6, 2022 Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position is responsible for assisting the Public Works Director in planning, organizing, and directing the overall administration of the department.
- Assists the Public Works Director in managing the Public Works Department; serves in the absence of the director.
- Participates in the selection of new Public Works employees; assists in counseling and disciplining subordinates; approves sick and annual leave requests.
- Plans, supervises, and evaluates the work of a Public Works crew engaged in performing skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled work associated with construction, repair, and maintenance activities; inspects subordinates work while in progress and upon completion to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance with related regulations and standards.
- Works with engineering personnel and other departments on projects for new/replacement culverts, low water crossings, bank stabilization, permit acquisition, and for other problems reported through the work order system.
- Responds to citizen concerns involving Public Works projects, departmental personnel, or related activities; addresses citizen requests for Public Works services; prepares and assigns work orders to service and maintenance crews; monitors the progress of assigned work orders to ensure accuracy and completion of work.
- Assists in preparing the department’s annual operating budget; monitors departmental expenditures.
- Confers with and advises the Public Works Director on matters pertaining to system management and operational matters.
- Completes required reports, logs, and records.
- Oversees all operations of the Fleet Department; and during the absence of the Public Works Director this position will oversee the operations of the Public Works Department.
- Performs related duties.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field and/or a combination of education, training, and work experience that would meet the qualifications of this position.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years’ experience or service.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The successful candidate must complete a Background/Reference Check and Pre-Employment Drug Screening prior to the start of employment.
To Apply: All applicants must complete a Habersham County employment application along with a cover letter and resume. Applications can be found online at www.habershamga.com. A detailed job description can be picked up at the Habersham County Human Resources Department, Administration Building located at 130 Jacob’s Way, Clarkesville, GA 30523 in room 303. For more information please call (706) 839-0214.