The City of Lilburn is seeking an individual to serve in the Accounting Technician position for the Department of Finance. This position is responsible for serving as the primary contact for property taxes. Assists in the preparation and distribution of property tax bills, property tax refunds or adjustments, tax appeals process, and FIFA pre-work. Responds to customer questions in person, over the telephone, and/or by email regarding property tax issues. Works closely with the Business Services section regarding tax files. The Accounting Technician also serves as primary backup for the Financial Analyst position which includes accounts receivables, payables, project accounting, payroll and payroll tax payments, cash receipts and daily bank deposits and preparing journal entries as needed. Assists in preparation of the W-2 and 1099 forms and assisting with the annual audit process for accounts payable related items and the Capital Improvement Program. Assists with the annual budget process to include preparation of the budget. This position reports to the Director of Finance.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with the preparation of property tax bills, property tax refunds or adjustments, tax appeals process, and FIFA pre-work.
- Answers incoming telephone calls related to property tax issues; responds to all questions/issues relating to property taxes.
- Works closely with the Business Services section regarding tax files.
- Works directly with financial and tax software provider to resolve problems or implement system upgrades and/or process changes.
- Ensures all financial transactions are properly recorded in the financial system.
- Serves as primary backup support for Financial Analyst. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Performs routine financial processes including accounts payables, accounts receivables and journal entries, cash receipts, bank deposits, bank statements, and bi-weekly payroll.
- Prepares and distributes W-2 and 1099 forms annually.
- Assists Finance Director with the annual budget process to include preparation and training of staff.
- Supports the Downtown Development Authority:
- Maintains list of items owed the city such as CDBG Grants funds, City-County DOT intergovernmental agreements, and City-County E911 intergovernmental agreement. Posts adjustments to the general ledger.
- Assists departments with questions relating to daily processing of payments and bi-weekly payrolls.
- Identifies fixed assets; assists external auditors in fixed assets review; prepares audit work papers and schedules.
- Prepares and researches unclaimed property, Forwards to the state per established guidelines.
- Assists in developing and evaluating accounting procedures and practices.
- Works with various city staff responsible for processing accounting transactions within the various departments; identifies errors or discrepancies; provides guidance to staff to resolve errors; documents findings.
- Follow established city policies, procedures, and ordinances relating to accounting transactions; seeks guidance on and interpretation of policies and procedures as needed from the Director of Finance.
- Performs other duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Knowledge of public accounting, budgeting, fixed assets accounting, auditing principles, procedures, and techniques.
- Knowledge of City ordinances, Federal and State payroll taxes and laws governing local governments.
- Knowledge of city policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of general office procedures, policies, and equipment.
- Knowledge of customer service principles.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards (GAS), state and federal laws and regulations governing municipal financial administration,
- Skill in effective and clear oral and written communications.
- Ability to utilize various financial system software and basic office products.
- Ability to interpret and apply related federal, state, and local laws.
- Ability to present ideas effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other city employees, department heads, city officials, and the public.
High school diploma or GED supplemented by advanced training in general accounting. Two (2) years of basic accounting and customer services experience, preferably involving tax collections, or any combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Excellent customer service and organizational skills. Criminal history and credit history background check required.
Interested candidates may apply online @ www.cityoflilburn.com. Questions may be directed to email@example.com.
The City of Lilburn is an Equal Opportunity Employer.