The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Reporting to the Animal Control Director, this position is responsible for cleaning of the kennels and the feeding of animals in the Animal Control Department.
Posting: Until Filled
Submit resume to Bartow County Human Resources, 135 West Cherokee Ave. St. 256 Cartersville, Georgia 30120 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Answers telephone and greets visitors; provides information and assistance. • Cleans kennels and cages. • Feeds and waters animals. • Places animals in runs and removes as needed. • Dips animals for ticks and fleas as needed. • Assist with the euthanization and disposal for animals. • Performs errands. • Removes trash from building. • Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of Animal Control policies and procedures. • Knowledge of animal health, behavior and diseases. • Knowledge of cleaning solutions and chemicals. • Knowledge of the tools and techniques used in the capture and release of domestic and wild animals. • Skill in the operation of assigned vehicle and equipment. • Skill in oral and written communication. • Skill in the safe handling of wild and domesticated animals.
The Kennel Supervisor of Animal Control assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spotchecks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results. GUIDELINES Guidelines include county personnel policies, department standard operating procedures, Georgia Department of Agriculture guidelines, and county ordinances. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of related kennel assistant and animal control duties. The necessity of working with dangerous animals contributes to the complexity of the position. • The purpose of this position is to provide assistance to the maintenance of the animal shelter. Success in this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of department operations.
• Contacts are typically with pet owners, veterinarians, law enforcement personnel, detail workers and inmates, community organizations, and members of the general public. • Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information or to resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell. • The work is typically performed in an office, stockroom, and animal shelter. The employee is exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and occasional cold or inclement weather. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
• Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level associated with the completion of high school or equivalent. • Sufficient experience sufficient to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years. • Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.p >