CITY MANAGER - CITY OF RINCON, GA
The city of Rincon was once a small railroad town, and now thrives as the largest city in rapidly growing Effingham County. Rincon was recently voted as the #1 place to live for young families in Georgia and in the top 10 of the "Happiest Cities in Georgia," and has a reputation for having some of the best schools in the state. Rincon is located just 30 minutes from historic downtown Savannah, and 45 minutes from Tybee Island Beach.
The City of Rincon is proud to be a financially sound municipality, with over 100 full & part time employees.
NATURE OF WORK:
The City Manager supervises all departments of the city. Responsibilities include preparation of the annual budget, providing leadership and direction in the development of short and long range goals, and advising the Mayor and City Council of financial conditions and current and future needs of the city, and monitoring and ensuring compliance with state/federal regulations.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Manages activities of City departments by assigning priorities and objectives to department heads and professional staff; reviews/approves management reports regarding department and administrative activities
- Ensures that all city operations are performed within available resources and according to City policies, procedures, and ordinances as well as federal, state, and local laws
- Provides leadership and direction in the development of plans and goals; gathers, interprets and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations for decision making purposes
- Provides professional advice to the Mayor, City Council and department heads
- Communicates official plans, policies and procedures to staff and the general public
- Prepares and administers annual City budget; monitors revenues and expenditures to assigned area to assure that city operations are performed within budget and to assure sound fiscal control
- Advises the Mayor and City Council of the financial conditions and current and future city needs
- Assures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, and facilities
- Tracks legislative issues and ensures that the City stays abreast of and in compliance with new laws
- Responsible for personnel management and recommends personnel changes
- Confers with residents, taxpayers, business and other individuals, groups as well as outside agencies having an interest or potential interest in affairs of the City
- Interpret, analyze and explain policies, procedures and programs
- Establishes working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies and associations, City management and staff, and the public
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of policies and practices of municipal government
- Knowledge of personnel management practices
- Knowledge of City codes, ordinances, resolutions, policies, and guidelines regarding the City organization and operations
- Knowledge of functions and activities of City departments
- Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal government budget preparation and administration
- Knowledge of state laws, regulations, and guidelines governing City operations
- Skill in preparing and administering municipal budgets
- Skill in planning, organizing, staffing, and directing the efficient and effective delivery of City services, programs and functions through subordinate staff
- Skill in providing responsive advice and staff support to the Mayor and Council
- Ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive reports
- Ability to establish priorities and direct the allocation of City resources
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials and the public
- Ability to efficiently and effectively administer a municipal government
Supervisory Controls: Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Mayor and City Council
Guidelines: Guidelines include City and departmental policies and procedures; City codes and ordinances and Federal, State and Local laws
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in public administration, business administration or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in local government or related field with supervisory experience.
Possession of a valid State of Georgia driver’s license (Class C) and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) are required
The city of Rincon is an equal opportunity employer. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement, and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the city and requirements of the job change. Requirements included in this class specification are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.