Salary Range:$57,083.56 Annually Onwards
This person in this position maintains, operates, and manages the golf course, and supervises any construction at the golf course.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Directs all grounds and greens maintenance, including landscaping, irrigation, and use of herbicides and other treatments.
- Oversees the construction or renovation of golf course properties, whether performed by the maintenance staff or outside contractors.
- Plans all maintenance and project work, applying agronomic and administrative expertise to achieve the agreed-upon maintenance standards and long range goals.
- Manages and maintains golf course properties which include: the golf course maintenance equipment and maintenance facility, clubhouse grounds and landscaping, open spaces, wooded areas, unused acreage and areas outside the perimeter fence.
- Conducts special studies and/or reports concerning all phases of golf course operation including programs, facility development, and policy.
- Recommends purchases of equipment; purchases necessary supplies to maintain the golf course related properties.
- Scouts and observes the condition of the golf course grass.
- Oversees inventory control and the equipment maintenance programs. Approves all expenditures and exercises cost control measures to keep operating and capital expenditures in line with approved budgets.
- Hires, trains, supervises, evaluates, counsels, and disciplines at least two subordinate staff.
- Develops and administers annual budget for the maintenance of the golf course; monitors expenditures under existing budget.
- Directs staff and operations of the course maintenance shop, assuring that all equipment is properly maintained and repaired.
- Keeps daily course maintenance records and develops weekly schedules for maintenance; keeps accurate and complete records of payroll, inventory, weather data, maintenance procedures, and pesticide applications. Engages in professional development activities and encourages subordinate staff to do likewise.
- Promotes a positive image for the golf facility, and performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work and other basic skills.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with three to five years’ experience or service.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the techniques and materials and equipment requirements for grounds and greens maintenance.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques and materials and equipment requirements for grounds and greens maintenance.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of golf course administration, especially as related to the supervision and management of maintenance operations.
- Knowledge of relevant laws, City ordinances, policies and procedures, and departmental and safety regulations.
- Knowledge of requirements/procedures for building USGA greens.
- Skill in chemical application for grounds maintenance and landscaping.
- Skill in operating general office equipment, tractors, mowers, maintenance and construction equipment.
- Ability to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions sufficient to staff answer questions and resolve personnel problems.
- Skill in planning and organizing programs and tasks. Skill in oral and written communication.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must obtain a current Georgia driver’s license.
- Must obtain or be willing to obtain your Chemical Applicator License (Category 24) within 18 months of employment.
The work is medium work and requires crouching, speaking, talking, and visual acuity.
The incumbent works in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs.