CITY OF STONE MOUNTAIN EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Job Title: Code Enforcement Officer - Sworn
Department: Stone Mountain Police Department
Salary: $50,000 annually (starting)
Status: Full Time/Hourly/Non-Exempt
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION FILLED
NATURE OF WORK:
This is a responsible position that requires responsiveness to complaints based on apparent code violations. Through education and voluntary compliance are our goals, the position may require investigation and prosecution of violations. Inspection of alleged violations is frequently done out of the office at the property location. Residential and commercial properties are included in the scope of review, as well as public buildings. As a sworn officer within the police department, the code enforcement officer may assist the Patrol Division on an incidental basis as needed. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Administrative Sergeant but will involve some direction from the City administration.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Performs routine patrol duties in residential, business, and commercial areas.
- Enforces City of Stone Mountain Ordinances and laws of the State of Georgia.
- Assists other law enforcement agencies when requested.
- Issues warnings and citations for violation of laws and ordinances and testifies in court as necessary.
- Completes incident reports and other paperwork in compliance with laws, policies, and procedures.
- Performs first aid and CPR as needed, as well as uses an automated electronic defibrillator (AED) as needed.
- Use and maintain City-issued equipment and vehicles in a safe manner.
- Maintain a positive rapport with the citizens and businesses of Stone Mountain, as well as the general public.
- Participates in job-related training activities.
- Assists and backs up fellow officers on priority calls.
- Attend and testify in court proceedings as required.
- Comply with lawful orders and directives from superior officers.
- Comply with Stone Mountain Police Department's Standard Operating Procedures and relevant City Ordinances.
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and experience:
- A High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Certification as a peace officer in good standing through the Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Council (POST).
- Previous law enforcement patrol experience to include the enforcement of local ordinances.
- Ability to obtain any applicable code enforcement certification within a reasonable timeframe.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and written.
- Good knowledge of the laws, professional standards, and practices in law enforcement.
- Skill in operating and maintaining firearms.
- Knowledge of Microsoft computing environment, especially word processing.
- Ability to obtain and interpret information related to the enforcement of ordinances and laws.
- Ability to remain calm, react quickly, and demonstrate good judgment in stressful or emergency situations.
- Ability to deal courteously with city employees, city officials, citizens, and general public.
- Prior training through the Georgia Association of Code Enforcement or other relevant source.
- Ability to gain certification as a GCIC Terminal Operator within the first thirty (30) days of employment.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have no record of any felony conviction or family violence. Some misdemeanor convictions may also disqualify a candidate from consideration.
- Possession of a valid Georgia driver license (Class C) and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report (MVR)
- All candidates are subject to an intensive background investigation including criminal history, driving record, psychological and medical examinations, and a drug screen test.
- Ability to drive and operate department vehicles and equipment in an efficient and safe manner.
- Must be free of any physical, emotional, or mental condition which will adversely affect ability to perform the duties of this classification.
Benefits: Paid medical and dental insurance, ten (10) paid holidays per year, prorated paid vacation/sick
leave, GMA retirement plan, take-home vehicle, and optional 457B Deferred Compensation Plan.
Application Information: Applications are available at City Hall at the address above or on the City's
website stonemountaincity.org under human resources.