This position is responsible for operating a truck to collect and transport solid waste.
Essential Job Duties
- Operates a truck along an assigned route to collect and transport solid waste.
- Performs equipment safety inspections; performs minor equipment maintenance; notifies supervisors of maintenance or repair needs.
- Reviews and completes assigned work orders; uses computer to close-out work orders.
- Cleans cans before delivery to customers; repairs or replaces damaged cans.
- Maintains fuel and tonnage logs.
- Mows grass as needed.
- Performs related duties.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of department and city policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of safe work practices.
- Knowledge of city streets and geography.
- Knowledge of equipment operation and maintenance principles.
- Skill in the operation of solid waste collection equipment.
- Skill in providing customer services.
The Sanitation Operations Manager assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include traffic laws and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of related equipment operation duties. Inclement weather and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to operate a truck in the collection and transport of solid waste. Successful performance contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of solid waste collection services.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed while intermittently standing, stooping, bending, crouching, or walking. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and must distinguish between shades of color.
- The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, or irritating chemicals. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggle, or gloves.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
This position has functional supervision over Sanitation Crew Members as assigned.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid commercial driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Applications must be submitted online at: www.acworth.org
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *