The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Qualified applicants MUST apply on our website by downloading an application packet at cityofcovington.org, or may apply in person at Covington City Hall, 2194 Emory Street, Covington, Georgia 30014. This position will remain open until 4:00 PM on Thursday September 29, 2022. The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position performs a variety of semi-skilled maintenance work and operates a variety of equipment in the complex construction, specialized operation, repair, maintenance and replacement of City water and sewer systems.
Work involves the safe and efficient operation of trucks of six-ton capacity or more and medium to heavy equipment. Driver may be required to clean and service tractors and trucks and perform minor repairs. Work may involve some acquired skills in the use of specialized machines and hand or power tools. Assignments are usually received orally although in some cases they may be written. Employees intermittently perform unskilled and semi-skilled laborer duties on various assignments.
• Equipment Operator I (Grade 8)
o Entry Level
o Class A CDL within one (1) year of employment
• Equipment Operator II (Grade 11)
o Minimum one (1) year at City of Covington W/S Department (subject to discretion of the Department Manager and HR Director)
o Class A CDL
o Blue Card Level 1A
o Other training, skills and abilities as defined by the Department Manager
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
• Loads and unloads trucks
• Performs minor maintenance on vehicles and services them with gas, oil and water; may occasionally operate dump
• Operates chainsaw, trimmers, shovels, pickaxes, and other hand and power tools
• Maintains clear right of way along water and sewer lines by trimming bushes, trees, grass and limbs
• Operates tractor with front-end loader in light excavation work and in pushing, piling, and cleaning land along the water and sewer lines
• Operates equipment of a lower classification on occasion when required for short period of time
• Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and on the water and sewer system, and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor
• Cleans equipment
• Installs and tests water meters
• Uses specialized sewer cleaning and CCTV inspecting equipment
• Performs all duties in conformance with appropriate safety and security standards
• Performs some or all of the duties of Maintenance Worker, as required or assigned.
• Required to be on call
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A) High school diploma or GED equivalent; and
(B) Experience involving the use and service of medium and heavy equipment to which assigned; or
(C) Any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Considerable knowledge of medium to heavy equipment operating principles
• Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to medium and heavy equipment operations
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in water and sewer maintenance work
• Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
• Ability to understand and follow oral or written instructions
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Ability to observe proper safety precautions
• Ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public
• Ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying weather conditions
• Ability to drive and operate a variety of equipment under varying conditions.
The employee must possess a valid Class C Georgia Driver’s License with the ability to obtain a Class A CDL within one (1) year of appointment, and a good driving record for the last three (3) years.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Typical tools and equipment used in this position include a tractor, bushhog cutter, pickup truck, chainsaws, saws, pumps, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, ditch witch, jackhammer.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and taste or smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically works in outside weather conditions. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts, and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee will often walk on uneven and slippery ground, and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.p >