The Economic Development Manager is responsible for the management and administration of the programs and activities associated with the City's economic development. The three primary priorities of the Economic Development Manager are (1) retention of existing businesses, (2) growth and expansion of existing businesses, and (3) recruitment of businesses aligned with the Strategic Economic Development Plan. In order to accomplish these priorities, the Economic Development Manager will work collaboratively with a wide array of groups and constituents including local businesses, Johns Creek Advantage, and the Johns Creek Chamber of Commerce.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Achieve the goals and objectives of the Strategic Economic Development Plan through the implementation of economic development initiatives.
- Create and implement programs to retain, expand, attract, and grow businesses and positive economic activity within the City.
- Provide assistance in the development of short- and long-term economic and community development plans, as well as the gathering of information and the preparation of studies, reports, and recommendations to achieve economic development goals.
- Collect, review, analyze, and interpret statistical data related to economic development and use such data to make informed recommendations to City Management and City Council.
- Develop and maintain supportive relationships with other City, County, and State economic development departments and organizations.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with Johns Creek Advantage, Johns Creek Chamber of Commerce, Johns Creek Convention and Visitors Bureau, and other organizations that support the economic health and well-being of the City.
- Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with local businesses. Communicate regularly with local businesses and, as appropriate, help local businesses connect with appropriate individuals or resources available through the City.
- Foster an understanding of the City’s economic development programs, goals, and objectives through speaking engagements, media interviews, appearances, and creating visibility for the City’s economic development programs in the community.
- Manage the economic development marketing efforts of the City to include working with the Communications Department to develop and regularly refresh economic development materials and other promotions and marketing materials for economic development initiatives.
- Working with the Community Development Department, maintain a comprehensive knowledge of applicable policies, procedures, codes, and regulations related to development and redevelopment in the City.
- Develop and maintain an inventory/database of property available for purchase, lease, and/or redevelopment within the City to include working with the Geographic Information Systems Division and Community Development Department.
- To foster business retention and recruitment efforts, coordinate and develop proposals and plans for industry representatives, real estate and development sectors, and banks; assist in locating sites; conduct site tours and provide informational materials; and build and maintain public/private partnerships.
- Provide information and/or makes presentations to City Management, City Council, Johns Creek Advantage, Johns Creek Chamber of Commerce, business groups, community groups, neighborhood groups, and the general public on economic development issues, programs, services, and plans.
- Identify and pursue, as deemed appropriate in consultation with the City Manager’s Office and Finance Director, grants, loans, and other funding for development and redevelopment projects.
- Maintain current knowledge of industry, regulatory, and legislative developments affecting economic development initiatives, services, and functions.
- Perform other similar duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Communications, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Three (3) years of professional experience in economic development and/or progressively responsible experience in municipal government administration.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills using English.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to manage multiple items at the same time.
- Ability to meet recurring and periodic time constraints.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Master's Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Five (5) years of professional experience in economic development.
- High level of knowledge and skills in public outreach, public affairs, and communication.
The Economic Development Manager's starting pay will be competitive and commensurate with the chosen candidate’s qualifications and experience. The pay range for this role is between $102,565 and $137,374 /annually (exempt). The City of Johns Creek also offers an attractive benefits package, including health benefits, retirement (401(a) and 457 Plans), and paid leave.
Interested qualified professionals should submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for professional references via the City's online portal. No unsolicited letters, emails, telephone calls, or in-person submission will be considered in fairness to other potential candidates for this position.