satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
Code Enforcement Officer
Pay Grade: 107
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position conducts commercial, residential, and industrial property inspections for compliance with City of Commerce codes and ordinances for activities including, but not limited to, nuisance, signage, zoning, abandoned or inoperative vehicles and substandard housing conditions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Attends related board meetings and public hearings.
- Cites vehicles and coordinates the removal of abandoned and illegally parked vehicles.
- Directs school crossing traffic twice daily.
- Initiates investigations as necessary for observed violations as well as citizen complaints; conducts field inspections of businesses, parcels of land, structures, vehicles, and stored materials to ensure compliance with applicable City of Commerce ordinances and state laws.
- Inspects for code violations relating to trash, debris, high grass and/or weeds, substandard housing conditions and community property nuisances in general.
- Interviews and obtains statements from complainants; contacts responsible individuals in person and in writing; prepares and posts necessary citations, violations, and other notices related to required abatements, outlining proper corrections methods and time limits, and all necessary remedial work required: Issues Administrative citations; monitors and re-inspects properties to ensure continued compliance.
- Performs a range of duties in support of the City’s business occupational license program including those related to license processing, tracking, and enforcement: conducts occupational license verifications in the field; locates businesses working within the City that may not be licensed.
- Performs daily inspections of residential properties to ensure conformance with Municipal Code of Ordinances.
- Performs follows up on any letters or citations issued until the problem is resolved.
- Prepares warning letters or citations to negligent owners or contractors.
- Presents accurate and complete reports to the Chief of Police, City Manager, or their designee.
- Presents reports and maintain records, written and computer based.
- Process all on-call list wrecker service applications and associated paperwork.
- Process payments for the municipal court.
- Works with the municipal judge and environmental court to resolve code violations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent and one (1) year of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience dealing with the public in an enforcement section or customer service capacity and experience that includes the enforcement of municipal codes preferred.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, GACE certification and valid Georgia driver’s license and satisfactory motor vehicle report.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Municipal Code of Ordinances and the legal procedures for enforcement.
- Knowledge of state laws and codes as they relate to code enforcement and compliance.
- Knowledge of municipal codes and inspection techniques.
- Knowledge of investigative procedures and documentation.
- Knowledge of computers, office equipment and practices.
- Knowledge of the geography and streets of the city.
- Ability to read and interpret property maps and legal descriptions.
- Ability to conduct inspections, effectively communicate both orally and in writing, and follow professional protocol.
- Ability to interact with the public fairly and impartially, including but not limited to an adversarial environment.
- Ability to make accurate field measurements.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, departments, government officials, and the public.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
- Ability sufficient to understand general in-person and telephone conversation.
- Ability to read a variety of informational, technical, financial and administrative documentations, directions, instructions, and methods and procedures.
- Ability to write reports and essays with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar using all parts of speech.
- Ability to speak with and before others with poise, voice control, and confidence using correct English and well-modulated voice.
- Ability to operate a variety of automated office equipment including computer, printer, photocopier, calculator and telephone.
Must possess sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting and in a field environment; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach and twist; ability to walk on uneven terrain, loose soil, and sloped surfaces; lift, carry, push, and/or pull light (5lbs) to moderate (50lbs) amounts of weight; walk up and down flights of stairs; and crawl in confined areas (e.g., attics). Must have close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus; is regularly required to talk or hear; must stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms; and must use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
Work will typically be performed in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, extreme cold, extreme heat and vibration.
The City of Commerce has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.