The Chatham County-Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission (the MPC) is seeking a highly qualified Senior or Principal Planner/ Data Analyst (depending on qualifications).
The Planner / Data Analyst will oversee the Planning Commission’s data analysis efforts as well as assist with the offshoot strategies of the 2040 Comprehensive Planning Process. The Planning sections of the MPC is responsible for the Comprehensive Plan and its updates, in addition to the development of strategies, housing and development analysis, historic preservation, strategic planning, and zoning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts analysis and research related to demographic projections, housing and non-residential construction, economic development, and other planning issues;
- Interprets quantitative analyses through the application of statistical and quantitative analysis concepts and techniques, mathematical models, and simulation program;
- Improve county-wide data analysis capacity by assisting other data users with projects that require data sharing and interpretation and be an instrumental part in establishing a new county-wide open data platform;
- Use or have background in a variety of software and visualization tools to create, manage, and maintain data visualizations that assist management, government staff, and the public to understand data trends, track key performance indicators, etc.;
- Review proposed land developments, zoning ordinances, subdivision and land development ordinances, and other documents for any broader implications as they pertain to land use planning;
- Work cooperatively with other staff, public, and local officials;
- Function as project manager and author for reports, projects, and plan research, development and publication as assigned;
- Participate in professional planning events and actively engage in professional development;
- Have technical knowledge in some or all of the following: land use, housing, transportation, open space, environment, demographics, comprehensive and long-range planning, real estate markets and trends, research techniques for land use trends, and related subjects;
- Attend public meetings, day, or evening, as well as represent the Planning Commission on various committees or at community meetings and events.
- Master’s Degree in Planning, Data Analytics, Data Science, or related degree plus 4 or more years of experience in an equivalent position, or combination of education and experience.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to be successful in the position;
- Demonstrated experience with some statistical and analytical software (examples include SQL tools, Power BI, Tableau, common statistics programs, etc.) as well as experience extracting and updating data from a variety of database systems;
- Excellent communications skills and public speaking ability to be used with peers, Planning Commission members, local governments, and other stakeholders;
- Utilize ArcGIS Pro and work cooperatively with GIS staff;
- Utilize Microsoft Office Suite;
- Knowledge of essential professional office computer software to perform word processing, spreadsheet analysis, presentations, and other planning work;
- Good analytical, organizational, logical thinking and problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines and organize information; and
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
MPC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, M/F/H
All resumes shall be submitted to the attention of:
Pamela Everett, Assistant Executive Director, Compliance & Operations
email@example.com or 110 East State Street, Savannah, GA 31412
Deadline for submissions: Open until filled