This person in this position is responsible for on-site inspections of commercial and residential properties in the City including the investigation of potential violations and the enforcement of municipal codes, ordinances and regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Investigates complaints of violation of City code, appropriate zoning ordinances, sign regulation and related laws, ordinances or codes; issues courtesy notices, notices of violation, citations, correction notices and stops work orders to ensure compliance; conducts follow-up investigations to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances;
- Patrols and monitors assigned area including demolition, new construction, renovation, housing violations and basic building and mechanical inspections;
- Seeks compliance with City ordinances from citizens and businesses; acts as liaison between the complainants, alleged violators and the City;
- Meets with owners, tenants, contractors, developers, businesses, etc. to review and explain code requirements, violations and/or potential violations; secures code compliance;
- Prepares written reports of inspections as specified by department procedures; issues warnings and citations when violations are proven;
- Maintains files and records related to citations and violations; prepares a variety of written reports, memoranda and correspondence;
- Inputs and retrieves a variety of information using a computer terminal;
- Answers inquiries and provides information to the general public regarding existing code regulations and policies;
- Assists with the City sign program;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires Associate’s degree or two (2) years of course work at a trade or vocational school in inspection or code enforcement preferred; one (1) year of inspections or code enforcement experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of general codes, ordinances, laws and regulations;
- Knowledge of safe and efficient work practices as they relate to code compliance;
- Knowledge of principles, practices, methods and techniques of code violation investigation and enforcement;
- Knowledge of general City services and municipal organizational structure as they relate to code compliance;
- Knowledge of City codes, ordinances, laws and regulations pertaining to code
- Ability to learn principles, practices, methods and techniques of code violation investigation and enforcement;
- Ability to learn City codes, ordinances, laws and regulations pertaining to code enforcement;
- Ability to learn, interpret and apply state and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations;
- Ability to maintain and update records, logs and reports;
- Ability to learn and enforce pertinent codes, ordinances, laws and regulations with impartiality and efficiency;
- Ability to respond to inquiries, complaints and requests for service in a fair, tactful and firm manner;
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision;
- Ability to operate and use modern office equipment, including a computer;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Financial Responsibility: Accountable for inventory/property management
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires Code Enforcement Certification; State of Georgia Driver’s license (Class C) and a satisfactory motor vehicle record (MVR).
The work is sedentary work and requires hearing, mental acuity, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
The incumbent works in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs.