The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The Policy Division is seeking an individual who is able to provide professional support for policy planning projects including comprehensive plan updates and ordinance amendments. This requires working independently and as part of a team to address policy planning issues that will involve research, analysis, plan review, and communications with a variety of stakeholders including government boards and agencies. In addition, the role will require utilizing discretionary authority in the review of various development applications for compliance with county codes and ordinances. This position also routinely provides information and technical assistance to the public.
Forsyth County, Georgia, is located 25 miles north of Atlanta with a population just over 250,000. The county has been one of the fastest growing counties in the nation and draws new residents through proximity to multiple job centers, an excellent public school system and a strong network of public parks as well as a robust housing market. Forsyth County borders Lake Sidney Lanier and is ideally located between Atlanta and the Blue Ridge mountains of North Georgia, which provides recreational opportunities throughout the year.
This position will be responsible for providing support for the coordination of comprehensive plan updates, ordinance modifications and other policy planning projects; offers assistance to applicants and the public; performs staff technical reviews and reports; furnishes updates as needed for various planning initiatives; attends meetings and participates on various committees.
Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning or closely related field.
Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver's license.
Three (3) years previous experience and/or training involving urban planning, local/regional land use, zoning, land development plan review, site plan review, and personal computer operations; or any equivalent combination of education including an advanced degree, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Partial telecommuting option available after initial training.
APA membership and AICP exam costs covered with local conference attendance available annually.
The Forsyth County Planning and Community Development Department actively engages in the implementation of the community's vision to enhance community character, sustain quality of life and expand greenspace. The projects below represent a sample of the progress the department has achieved towards these community goals:
- Completion of residential design standards for detached, attached and multi-family housing
- Collaboration with developers and other county departments to assist with the expansion of the Big Creek Greenway, currently a 16 mile multi-use trail system that will connect Alpharetta with Dawson County upon final project completion;
- Creation of a subarea plan that included a placemaking and branding proposal with adopted residential and commercial design requirements to foster distinctive development and further community identity;
- Revision of conservation subdivision requirements to incentivize the preservation of open space and conservation areas through clustered housing designs within a suburban context;
- Adoption of progressive code involving micro-breweries, micro-distilleries, mobile vending, food trucks, and seasonal sales;
- Formation of new mixed-use zoning districts to encourage creative land use arrangements and unique developments that incorporate quality design with community-based amenities;
Expand your policy making skills while contributing to the implementation of the community's vision. Consider Forsyth!