The Street Maintenance Worker is responsible for constructing and maintaining street-related infrastructure in the City. This position generally performs work as a member of a team of employees carrying out the day-to-day maintenance of city facilities and grounds, using appropriate tools and equipment for assigned tasks.
SCHEDULE: Normal operation hours: Monday - Friday; 8:00am - 5:00pm (schedule flexibility is available to accommodate the needs of the city
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs manual work functions and operates equipment associated with various city departments and functions as assigned, which may include maintenance and repair of city streets/roads, drainage systems, right-of-way areas, parks, recreation facilities, grounds areas, or other areas of assignment.
- Performs manual work functions associated with road construction, maintenance and repair projects.
- Performs manual tasks associated with landscaping, groundskeeping, and maintenance of city parks/recreation facilities.
- Assists in setting up special events/activities; installs, erects, or hangs holiday decorations; assists with traffic control and litter pickup.
- Operates a variety of equipment, machinery and tools used in department projects and activities, which may include a dump truck, garbage truck, boom truck, front end loader, backhoe, tractor, asphalt packer, cement mixer, tiller, bush hog, mower, weed eater, edger, blower, jack hammer, chain saw, saw, axe, shovel, rake, spraying equipment, and mechanic tools.
- Transports, loads and unloads various materials and equipment used in projects.
- Performs general maintenance tasks necessary to keep machinery, equipment and tools in operable condition.
- Responds to emergency calls during hurricanes, inclement weather, or other emergency situations.
- Utilizes precautionary safety equipment and monitors work environment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals.
- Communicates with supervisor, employees, other departments, the public, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED; supplemented by two (2) years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Licenses or Certifications:
Valid State of Georgia driver’s license; Holds or can obtain a flagging certification for traffic control
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic operations.
- Knowledge of activities of street maintenance, reconstruction, restoration, paving, sealing, storm installation, manholes and other drains system maintenance, and other City infrastructure maintenance.
- Knowledge of planting seeds, bulbs, foliage, trees, shrubs, flowers, ground covering and applying mulch.
- Knowledge of use of maintenance tools and equipment.
- Skill in lawn mowing, trimming, edging, mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing and thatch removal functions.
- Skill in use of operating hand and power tools, vehicles, and related light & medium duty equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Skill in mixing, spraying, spreading fertilizers, herbicides and insecticides onto grass, shrubs, and trees, using handheld and automatic sprayers, spreaders.
- Ability to operate a loader, backhoe, saw, concrete grinder, floats, air compressor, pump, pneumatic tools, woodchipper, bush-hog, tractor and variety of hand tools.
- Ability to use specialized tools including hydraulically-operated equipment.
- Ability to operate heavy maintenance and construction equipment.
- Ability to places and grades asphalt.
- Ability to installs and repairs fences, guard rails, and barricades.
- Ability to flush, builds, and repairs storm drains, catch-basins, manholes, laterals, and drainage ditches.
- Ability to troubleshoot and makes minor repairs to trucks and equipment.
- Ability to load and unload trash and assist in work required to maintain the clean condition of the City.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise sound and effective judgment within established policy and guidelines.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to use protective clothing and equipment such as masks, coats, vests, hard hats, boots, goggles, gloves, reflective vest and other safety devices.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK CONDITIONS
The work is moderate work which requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force. Work requires regular and, at times, sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that may involve the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Work is performed in an outdoor environment. Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, toxic agents, disease, or pathogenic substances.
The City of Fairburn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA) reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss accommodations with the employer.