The Director of Procurement is responsible for managing the purchase of materials, supplies, equipment and contractual services for Macon-Bibb County in the most efficient and cost effective manner which is in the best interest of the government.
The following duties are representative of the work required for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and supervises staff in the procurement of goods and services, professional services, construction and public works projects, and other contractual agreements on behalf of Macon-Bibb County within the guidelines and requirements outlined by federal, state, and local laws.
- Oversees and initiates the bid-proposal process from advertisement to award, administration of the automated purchasing system, and contract management.
- Develops, reviews, and approves requests for bids and requests for proposals.
- Reviews and receives purchase requisitions from Macon-Bibb County Departments.
- Establishes and maintains a vendor file, including all relevant information regarding the vendors.
- Holds regular meetings with a vendor group that meets performance and reliability standards.
- Provides relevant purchasing information and reports to public officials and department heads for informational and budgetary purposes.
- Researches, develops, and implements policies and programs to improve the purchasing system of Macon-Bibb County.
- Tracks the fixed assets of Macon-Bibb County.
- Develops and administers the Department’s budget.
- Monitors, evaluates, and manages the Department’s staff.
The Director of Procurement should possess, at a minimum, a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Public Administration, Finance, or related field, plus five (5) years’ experience as a purchasing agent, with a Master’s Degree preferred; or any equivalent combination of education and experiences which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Certification in Public Purchasing, Procurement, and Materials Management.
- Must possess good personal credit and be found in good financial standing.
- Possession of a valid Georgia Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
The Director of Procurement must be knowledgeable of the following principles, procedures, and concepts:
- Knowledge of purchasing principles and practices and of the Federal, State, and Local laws governing public procurement and accounting.
- Knowledge of markets, trade conditions, escalation and de-escalation of prices during the course of contract, and contract administration procedures.
- Knowledge of the various grades and qualities of a variety of materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Knowledge of and experience in contracting for professional services.
- Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, and other requirements governing the purchases of commodities for Macon-Bibb County.
- Ability to establish and maintain an automated purchasing system.
- Knowledge of disposing of or purchasing real property.
- Knowledge of accounting practices as applied to procurement procedures.
- Ability to analyze bids, develop appropriate specifications, and to award contracts impartially and objectively.
- Skill in both oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of personal computers and basic office programs.
- Ability to maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information as may be appropriate.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, vendors, and with members of the general public.