This position assists the City Engineer in the design, bidding, construction, and inspection of various City capital construction and/or maintenance projects.
- Develops project cost estimates.
- Develops project concepts.
- Coordinates preliminary and final engineering design and environmental permitting.
- Reviews preliminary and final engineering designs for compliance with City standards/ordinances, State and Federal regulations, and standard engineering practice.
- Writes construction contract bid documents.
- Inspects construction for compliance with contract documents, approved plans, City standards, and good engineering practice.
- Reviews and approves/denies contractor pay applications.
- Ensures project delivery on time and in budget.
- Coordinates activities of outsourced engineers and contractors on various stages of multiple projects.
- Conducts pre-construction meetings with contractors and other City departments.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices.
- Knowledge of public works infrastructure construction, maintenance, and repair principles.
- Knowledge of erosion and sedimentation control principles and practices.
- Knowledge of analysis, research, and report preparation methods.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, City ordinances, and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Knowledge of GIS principles.
- Knowledge of traffic engineering principles.
- Knowledge of stormwater engineering principles.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in verbal and written communication.
The City Engineer assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include engineering standards, the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, state and federal environmental regulations, the Georgia Stormwater Manual, and City and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied engineering duties. The need to respond to unforeseen situations contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to perform engineering duties in support of the department’s capital construction and maintenance program. Successful performance contributes to a safe, well-maintained, and efficient City infrastructure.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, vendors, contractors, other City employees, state and local government officials, engineers, surveyors, consultants, developers, architects, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, negotiate matters, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while standing or walking. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. Work requires the use of protective devices, such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of EIT (Engineer-in-Training)/EI (Engineering Intern) certificate which allows the incumbent to pursue higher certification in the future.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accomodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.