Department: PLANNING & ZONING
Job Status: Full-Time
Shift: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Rate of Pay: $36,788.00 - $46,983.92
The purpose of this classification is to perform a variety of routine work in connection with the duty to process various permit applications, assist customers and maintain fees and files.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Receives applications and determines the type of permit that is required; Advises applicants on requirements.
- Processes, and issues permits to builders, contractors, and individuals for construction, modification, and repair of buildings: electrical, mechanical, plumbing, demolition, tree removal, signage, and land disturbance.
- Reviews permit applications for accuracy and completeness; ensuring required licensing, forms and plans are submitted according to the permit requirements.
- Processes and issues certificates of occupancy, certificates of completion, upon review and approval of authorized city officials.
- Processes payments via cash, check, and credit; performs daily balancing and reconciliation of receipts.
- Prepares, maintains, and updates all records related to the permitting process as required, including establishing computerized records, filing, scanning permits and plans as directed.
- Monitors and tracts permit applications through the inspection and review process; performs research regarding the status of permit; provides progress updates as requested.
- Performs monthly audit of issued permits.
- Responds to customer or staff request or inquiry related to the plans process function of the department in a timely manner.
- Maintains reject and active plans submitted by contractors and homeowners as part of the permit application process in an organized manner.
- Assists with environmental court, and other department administrative tasks.
- Greets the public at the counter and on the phone.
- Demonstrates professional courtesy, tact, and diplomacy in all communications with internal and external customers.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent; and two (2) years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to deal with difficult and challenging people and provide courteous customer service typically as the first person a customer interacts with from the beginning to the end of the permitting process.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to multi-task and work under stressful situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, superiors, and the general public.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to evaluate, audit, deduce, and/or assess data using established criteria; ability to exercise discretion in determining actual or probable consequences and in referencing such evaluation to identify and select alternatives.
- Ability to apply principles of persuasion and/or influence over others in a supervisory capacity.
- Ability to operate, maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; ability to utilize principles of fraction; ability to interpret graphs.
- Ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, and leadership, and to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to resolve problems.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable.
The work is sedentary which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound.
- Mental Acuity: Ability to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Repetitive Motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Speaking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including the ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately and concisely.
- Visual Acuity: Have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive reading.
Work is performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.