The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
the Collaborative Inc
The Collaborative, (www.thecollaborative.com) an award-winning consulting firm with a national reputation for excellence in planning, design, engineering, transportation, and communications, seeks energetic and experienced planning professional to join our team of professionals supporting an on-site contract for a city of 50,000 in the north Atlanta metropolitan region. Our on-site staff members operate as a full-service community development department, providing planning and zoning, building and permitting, and code enforcement services. The services provided by the Community Development Department are wide-ranging and constantly changing. It is a fast-paced environment, requiring attention to detail and flexibility in prioritization.
The Planning and Zoning Manager/Deputy Community Development Director’s role is to develop plans, organize, and direct professional work related to our municipal client’s community development activities including managing the implementation of the zoning code, laws, regulations, and the zoning review process; case preparation, Ordinance development, and updates; Comprehensive Plan development and updates; Community Development Block Grant Program; support of appointed Boards and Commissions. The individual will manage the day-to-day activities of planning and zoning staff. Additionally, they will hold the position of Deputy Community Development Director and assist the municipality’s Community Development Director in the management of the entire department.
The primary duties and responsibilities include:
· Organizes, plans, directs, evaluates, and administers the activities of the Planning and Zoning Division, including inspections of facilities, site plan review, investigation of zoning and other violations, requests for exceptions, enforcement, and other activities pertaining to zoning and other applicable ordinances.
· Coordinates planning, zoning, development issues, policies and procedures, and professional development with regional agencies and professional organizations.
· Confers with architects, engineers, developers, owners, citizen representatives, elected officials, attorneys, and organizations within and outside the municipality regarding problems that relate to planning, zoning, code enforcement, and development.
· Manages Department employees, including interviewing prospective candidates for vacant positions; recommending promotions or performance awards for staff; developing staff performance goals, training and professional development objectives consistent with department’s annual performance evaluation processes; provides coaching, training and mentoring to ensure staff meets requirements of the position; administers disciplinary actions when required.
· Manages the review or oversight of site plans for compliance with ordinances and regulations.
· Interprets Zoning Ordinance and other related codes and regulations.
· Provides assistance to the City in the preparation of ordinances and ordinance amendments
· Effectively deploy resources to address routine zoning and development issues, emergency situations, citizen concerns, and environmental issues.
· Reviews data to identify trends; modifies priorities as necessary to deliver effective service.
· Makes enforcement decisions and effectively negotiates to resolve conflicts and situations ensuring that any agreement is in conformance with applicable laws.
· Represents the City in court and before other hearing bodies
· Acts as liaison between the Division and community groups, elected officials, governmental agencies, and other Departments.
· Assists in the preparation of the departmental budget.
· Establishes zoning policies and procedures.
· Provides staff support to the Planning Commission, Sustainability Committee, Board of Zoning Appeals, and coordinates the appeal process.
· Maintains relationships with citizens groups, business associations, other divisions and departments in the City, and other agencies.
· Oversees or conducts special studies, and small area plans to develop reports and make recommendations to City management and other organizational elements of the City as required.
· Participates in the management and implementation of the Comprehensive Plan.
· Participates in professional organizations maintain up to date knowledge of planning, zoning, development, and environmental best practices.
· Performs other similar duties as assigned.
· Master’s degree in City/Regional Planning, Public Administration, or a related field.
· Ten (5) years of experience as a Planner or similar position with five (2) years of experience in a supervisory capacity.
· AICP certification preferred.
· Thorough knowledge of planning, zoning, development, and environmental-related laws and regulations.
· Thorough knowledge of the principles, theories, practices, legal precedents, and governmental regulations regarding land use planning, zoning, development, and the environment.
· Knowledge of best practices in urban design, including familiarity with form-based zoning codes.
· Knowledge of methods and procedures of investigation and enforcement including due process and the rules of evidence in civil and criminal courts
· Ability to plan, organize, and delegate work.
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to deal effectively with the public, elected officials, members of the building and construction industry, community groups, and other governmental groups.
· Ability to relate particular business situations to the enforcement of codes, ordinances, and regulations.
· Ability to oversee the conduct of investigations.
· Ability to develop innovative solutions to complex problems where contending parties have a significant interest at stake.
· Ability to evaluate a program or activity and to adapt it to meet changing conditions.
· Ability to balance enforcement with other issues of public policy such as economic development.
· Ability to maintain effective professional relationships.
The position is a full-time professional position that includes night and weekend work as necessary.
The salary is for a senior-level technical professional and manager and includes a full benefits package.
The Collaborative does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. The firm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.p >