GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City.
- While performing any procedure, all associates and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate City operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops short and long-range ordinance amendments, preliminary development plan review and project implementation
- Coordinates the Comprehensive Land Use Plan
- Coordinates with the Community Development Director on matters relating to the use of land and zoning codes
- Presents comprehensive land use changes and plans to Planning Commission; conducts site inspections and analyzes projects for compliance to Land Use Plan
- Prepares ordinances related to zoning and land use issues; assists Community Development Director in interpreting/applying zoning ordinances
- Prepares and presents Department recommendations to Planning Commission
- Reviews preliminary plats, construction plans and survey plats to ensure conformance to policies and codes
- Coordinates in long-range planning activities including project research, development of programs and presentations
- Serves as the liaison between the development community and City Engineer
- Assists applicants with interpretation of review comments as well as the Development Regulations, Subdivision Regulations and Zoning Ordinance
- Works with other departments and governmental agencies providing data or research in areas such as land-use, codes and locating sites for future development
- Meets with applicants and reviews potential developments; explains the procedures of the zoning process and assists the applicant with application procedures
- Represents the City and department at various meetings including after hour meetings as needed
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting the Operations Department with Public Relations, Special Projects, Programs and Grants
- Any other duties as assigned.
Job has recurring work situations involving high degrees of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of available resources is high. Errors in judgment could cause disruptions to the City’s mission and adversely impact attainment of the City’s goals. Incumbent operates independently but results are monitored by the Director of Community Development. Content of work priorities are largely self-determined.
Contacts are across the entire City community and in a leadership capacity. Community contact is a critical component of success in developing good will and support of City programs and initiatives.
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in City, or Regional Planning or related field;
- Three (3) years’ work experience in related field;
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification desired;
- Must possess valid State of Georgia driver’s license;
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of City and State planning requirements;
- Knowledge of modern principles, practices, operations, services and activities of zoning and planning programs;
- Knowledge of City zoning ordinances, codes, regulations and policies;
- Knowledge of historic, existing and future issues of properties regarding zoning and land use;
- Skill in using independent judgment and discretion;
- Skill in prioritizing and scheduling assignments;
- Skill in operating modern office equipment;
- Skill in basic computer applications for word processing and spreadsheets;
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, studies, laws, regulations, goals and objectives to City officials, developers and the general public;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others;
- Ability to maintain routine records;
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- Ability to identify, coordinate and resolve a wide variety of issues in the development of land use policy;
- Ability to operate City vehicles.
Equipment and Applications
- Computers and peripheral equipment
- Designated software applications
- Telephones, copiers and other office equipment