The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Qualified applicants MUST download an application packet at cityofcovington.org or may apply in person at Covington City Hall, 2194 Emory Street, Covington, Georgia 30014. This position will remain open until filled. The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Responsible for a variety of manual duties related to park maintenance, including painting, cleaning, driving equipment and vehicles and other duties as assigned. Uses a variety of tools and equipment depending on the specific assignment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Performs general janitorial services for City-owned facilities including cleaning restrooms, cleaning spills, sweeping, mopping, and other related duties.
• Inspect the exterior of City Hall to ensure the removal of debris or trash.
• Dumps trashcans at City-owned parks and facilities and relines cans with liner.
• Inspects trails for maintenance and/or concerns and notifies Facilities Maintenance Supervisor of any issues
• Trail and park maintenance including leaf/debris removal, trash removal, chemical spraying, and signage maintenance.
• Clean and set up the Court Room and Council Room as needed for varying events.
• Manage janitorial supply stock to ensure needed items are always in stock
• Water plants and trees at City-owned facilities as needed or directed
• Change light bulbs and fluorescent bulbs.
• Open, close, and lock City-owned facilities as needed or directed.
• Assist Senior Maintenance Technician with remodeling and other construction projects as needed.
• Supervise Community Service Crews in their duties
• As needed or directed, drive street sweeper, leaf truck, or other light-duty or commercial trucks or cars
• Use a leaf blower safely
• Drive an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or utility terrain vehicle (UTV) safely
Education and Experience:
(A) Graduation from high school or GED equivalent; and
(B) Experience relating to maintenance, or repair; or
(C) Any combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge and experience to perform the work.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Working knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in park and grounds maintenance;
• Working knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do major repairs;
• Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions;
• Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
• Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule;
• Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time;
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing;
• Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely;
• Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions;
• Ability to establish effective working relationships.
Valid Georgia Driver’s License.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Lawn mowers, weed trimmers, edger, chain saws, blowers and various hand tools used on grass, trees, and bushes.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop; kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations