Job Title: Risk Manager FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director of Risk Management & Sustainability
Department: Risk Management Location: Garden City
Under the supervision of the Director of Risk Management & Sustainability, the Risk Manager manages the Liability, Property and Worker’s Compensation insurance and claims programs, oversees the transportation compliance, and administers all drug and alcohol testing programs. Upholds the values of the GPA to promote Safety, Integrity, Respect, Community, Creativity and Opportunity. Promotes a safe work environment by participating in safety initiatives and reporting unsafe conditions and behaviors.
- Assist with the development and management of a comprehensive risk management program including but not limited to Liability, Property, and Worker’s Compensation insurance programs.
- Is responsible for facilitating the identification of risk practices throughout the organization by effectively working with internal and external stakeholders.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates the claims function for Worker’s Comp liability, and property claims and property losses or damages to minimize loss exposure.
- Manages all claims involved in litigation. Coordinates with legal staff on court cases and represents the company in such matters.
- Manages the insurance broker agreement and interaction with insurers, underwriters, and adjustors as needed.
- Assist in the Authority’s property valuation records and analyzes information to maintain proper values and nature of risk.
- Prepares and presents reports and correspondence for departmental and executive leadership use.
- Develops, directs, and oversees all drug testing programs.
- Responds as backup for insurance management, claims management and workers’ compensation management for all job vacancies or extended absences.
- Assists in the administration and handling of the Motor Vehicle Records Program.
- Processes and manages all Risk Management Hurricane programs, procedures, and any resulting FEMA claims.
- Identifies risk exposure and prepares methods for mitigating risk and reducing loss exposure.
- Leads and assist with any staff training and departmental training on Risk Management Policies.
- Oversees and helps direct and develop transportation compliance and commercial licenses programs.
- Participates in 24-hour on call duty for Risk Management to assess liability exposures and administer drug and alcohol testing policy.
- Performs special projects assigned by the Director of Risk Management and Sustainability or the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of insurance and claims. Experience in a supervisory position doing staff level work desired. Ability to work independently and prepare staff level recommendations and/or reports. Ability to exercise positive leadership with people. Ability to deal effectively and professionally with the GPA staff on all levels as well as customers and the general public required. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Education and/or Experience:
Four-year college degree required. Five years of related work, management and supervisory experience desired.
Must meet the criteria for and obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC). Valid state driver’s license required.