Harris County, Georgia, with a population of 36,000 and located in west central Georgia along the Alabama border 60 minutes southwest of Atlanta and 30 minutes north of Columbus, is accepting applications for HR Generalist. This new full-time position, under the direction of the County Manager, will oversee the HR functions of the county and its 403 full-time and part-time employees, elected officials, various board members, and personnel receiving paid supplements. This new position will:
- Be the first point of contact for all perspective new employees.
- Maintain master list of all funded positions and position vacancies.
- Prepare job announcements for all departments and distribute/post to various websites and local newspaper for publication.
- Accept job applications and resumes, screen them for qualifications, and forward the best ones to the appropriate department for consideration.
- Conduct pre-employment screening of applicants such as reference checks, employment verifications, drug testing, social media checks, and motor vehicle checks.
- Prepare job offer letters.
- Conduct new employee orientation.
- Process new hires, promotions, demotions, transfers, disciplinary, and terminations actions through personal action forms.
- Follow new employees’ 30/60/90 day progress to determine suitability.
- Ensure county is following and complying with all federal and state laws such as wage and hour laws, FMLA, and ADA.
- Conduct periodic employee training sessions regarding customer service, sexual harassment, diversity, HIPPA rules, active shooter, retirement plans, etc.
- Research and implement an objective employee performance appraisal system.
- Assist department heads with their departmental HR issues.
- Accept employee grievances and complaints, conduct investigations to resolve issues, and recommend appropriate actions based on approved policies.
- Maintain and interpret HR policies and rules and update those rules periodically.
- Conduct risk management functions such as investigate property insurance claims and accidents, file claims as needed, conduct property and liability insurance renewals.
- Provide quality control of payroll, act as payroll backup, and assist the payroll tech as needed.
- Conduct exit interviews and collect all county property upon termination/retirement.
Minimum qualifications include high school diploma (bachelor degree in HR preferred), at least three years of experience in a HR department (local government HR experience preferred), knowledge of modern HR practices and trends, excellent customer service skills, and possession of a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Starting salary is $56,800 plus generous benefits including a defined benefit retirement plan with only a five-year vesting schedule.
To apply, visit the Harris County website at https://harriscountyga.casellehire.com/jobs/ Position open until filled. First review of resumes will begin January 2, 2023. Hiring will be dependent on successful drug screen, background and social media checks, employment history check, and driving history check. Harris County, Georgia is an EOE.