Job Title: Communications Manager/Public Information Officer
Reports to: Equity & Engagement Director
Department: City Manager’s Office – Equity & Engagement
Full Salary Range: $61,506 - 73,154 Annually DOQ (Exempt)
Purpose of Work:
The Communications Manager will lead and develop strategic communications activities that will ensure consistent, effective and meaningful communications, and engage the community in key City initiatives. The Communications Manager will provide timely, transparent and proactive information to the public; enhance the visibility of the City of Decatur strategic initiatives, key messages, and programs; promote and ensure open, inclusive, transparent, and professional messages consistent with the City of Decatur’s brand; and enable meaningful community engagement. The position also coordinates related projects involving complex community and cross-departmental issues as assigned, and guide the City’s efforts to strengthen and expand its communications efforts.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communication plan to advance the City’s brand identity and broaden awareness of its programs, priorities and accomplishments; Ensure communication strategies are consistent with the City’s strategic plan and vision.
- Oversees the city’s website ensuring that content remains fresh, timely and relevant and works closely with a content management team to update the site regularly.
- Collaborates with the Downtown Development Manager, Special Events & Community Outreach Coordinator to communicate information related to businesses, special events, and promotions.
- Creates and maintains a Communications Tool Box for departments that contains information on use of the city logo, creation of press releases, ordering business cards and stationery and serves as a resource for these tools.
- Leads the Story Team, a cross-departmental communications team responsible for supporting the division’s communications needs and execution of the communications strategy.
- Serves as the City’s Public Information Officer, responds to media requests, initiates media pitches, builds ongoing relationships with the media, escorts media personnel within city facilities to conduct interviews or take photographs, writes press releases and statements, maintains media lists, and collects & distributes weekly media mentions.
- Monitor local and national publications and online alerts for stories about Decatur.
- Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership. Prepare talking points, presentations, speeches and other supporting material as needed.
- Manage the City’s website, including content strategy, integrated messaging, creative direction and analytics.
- Maintains the City’s Emergency Communications Plan and serves as the chief communicator with the media during emergencies.
- Work with Equity and Engagement Director to develop specific outreach strategies to reach population groups that may need assistance in connecting with City services and programs.
- Develop effective communication strategies
- Manage internal communications (memos, newsletters etc.)
- Collaborate with marketing professionals to produce copy for advertisements or articles
- Facilitate the resolution of disputes with the public or external vendors
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, mass media, English, public relations, journalism, marketing or other related field
- Familiarity with local government operations and media relations, and supervisory experience preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in writing, editing, social media, public speaking, communications, public relations and media relations. Good knowledge of computers and related software applications in word processing and data base management.
- Experience with variety of communications tools including newsletters, websites, press releases, blogs, and other social media.
- Strong communications skills both orally and in writing. Strong grammar, spelling and punctuation skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department personnel, the general public, other city officials and the media.
- Ability to work under pressure and complete multiple assignments under deadline conditions in a dynamic office environment.
- Knowledge or the ability to obtain knowledge of Decatur’s history, city government, and other related information about departments within the city.
- Ability and desire to work closely with residents, business owners and volunteers in a positive and respectful way.
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative.
- Valid State of Georgia driver’s license (Non-commercial Class A or B) with a satisfactory motor vehicle record (MVR)
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects (10-50 lbs), sit, bend, squat, stand and twist on a daily basis.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time using office equipment and computers.
- Ability to deal with constant interruptions, noise, and meet with others on a regular basis.
- Ability to operate a personal computer, printer, copier, fax machine and camera. Demonstrates photography skills and has the ability to use Microsoft Office Suite and other appropriate applications including Photoshop or similar editing tools and social media application tools.
How to Apply: All applications and resumes must be submitted online at https://www.decaturga.com/jobs
*We do not accept e-mailed resumes as a part of the application process.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Decatur is committed to having a workforce that reflects diversity at all levels and is an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, qualified applicants are considered for employment, and employees are treated during employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.