POSITION/ JOB FAMILY: Staff Accountant
DEPARTMENT: Gateway Arena
SALARY RANGE: $51,168 - $63,448
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: GICC Business Manager
A successful candidate will play an active role in the City of College Park’s existing operational success. The purpose of the position is to perform monthly closings and maintenance of complex computer systems/financial applications, maintenance of accounting files, and preparation/organization of various financial forms, reports, financial analyses, etc.
Independent judgment is required to identify, select and apply the most appropriate available guidelines and procedures as well as interpret precedents. This position is responsible for reconciling ticketing system and accounting systems, preparing and analyzing monthly financial statements, and preparing financial schedules as required and will assist the GICC Business Manager as needed. The Staff Accountant will provide backup on fixed assets accounting and client trust and escrow accounts as needed.
- Perform monthly closings and maintenance of complex computer systems/financial applications, maintenance of accounting files, and preparation/organization of various financial forms, reports, financial analyses, etc.
- Review, process, and record banking activities (i.e. prepare deposits, set up transfers and wires on the bank website, apply cash receipts, etc.)
- Monthly reconciliations of various general ledger accounts including cash, receivables, inter-companies, payables, deferrals, etc.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Arena Manager, and Business Manager.
- Calculate, file, and remit sales and use tax to the State.
- Prepare various standard and ad hoc reports to include Excel pivot tables and analyses for management.
- Perform monthly closings of complex computer systems/financial applications.
- Monthly reconciliations of various general ledger accounts including cash, receivables, payables, deferrals, etc.
- Work closely with the Business Manager.
- Prepare and input journal entries and accruals through the general ledger
- Assist with annual budgets and forecasts.
- Complete and provide various schedules and reports requested by third parties for audit, income tax, and other purposes
- File all copies of billings and supporting documentation, and maintain accounting files/documents.
- Respond to external and internal inquiries on a timely basis.
- Maintain entity and departmental accounting policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement improved accounting policies and procedures, if necessary.
- Maintain the customer master file and general ledger within complex computer systems/financial applications.
- Provide suggestions to management and supervisor on ways to implement efficiencies with daily processing and reporting activities.
- Reconcile the ticketing system and accounting system for each team.
- Flexibility to work additional hours, as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Arena ticketing system.
- Strong general knowledge of accounting, including journal entries, reconciliations, expense variations, etc.
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of trustworthiness in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Strong client service skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (data manipulation, advanced formulas, pivot tables, etc.).
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of theories, principles, practices, and techniques of business or public administration, with an emphasis on accounting and financial management.
- Skill in operating New World software and Microsoft Office.
- Skill in interpreting and preparing financial documents.
- Skill in research and analytical techniques.
- Skill in analyzing, interpreting, and preparing reports.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks, with a sense of urgency, while maintaining a high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to plan, schedule, organize, and delegate work in a manner that optimizes the use of time and employee skills.
- Must be knowledgeable of computers and electronic data processing; must have the ability to accurately record and maintain records; ability to multitask and prioritize as necessary, ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to use tact and courtesy in dealing with the public.
- Must be able to analyze and evaluate procedures and work processes and exercise appropriate judgment in establishing priorities and work methods.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships and deal effectively and courteously with others, to work independently and in team settings.
- Must be able to type or use a personal computer with word processing and related software and to enter and retrieve information with reasonable speed and accuracy.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average weight up to fifty (50) pounds, standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified as essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- Bachelor's degree required in Business Administration, Accounting, or a related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in accounting and general ledger/financial reporting; prefer knowledge of and experience in Public Accounting or audit experience preferred; equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in communicating with diverse communities, and in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to submit a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled.
Resumes will not be accepted without an application. You can obtain an application from the City’s website: www.collegeparkga.com.
The City of College Park is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.